Chapter Sixty-Two

I watched as her eyes rolled back in her head and she completely lost consciousness

I watched as her eyes rolled back in her head and she completely lost consciousness. "No! Evangeline, FUCK! Fucking stay with me!"

Her body went limp as I covered her, and put my weight on my elbows, I didn't want to crush her underneath my weight. I held on to the bullet wound on her forearm. She was losing a lot of blood. Fuck, she already looked so fucking pale.

"It's clear, Don Niko, the shooter is down," one of my soldiers informed me.

A muscle in my jaw twitched. "Dead?"

"Wounded, I know you would want to keep him," he informed.

I got off Evangeline and scooped her body in my arms. "Take him to the warehouse, I need to take my wife to the hospital."

"Yes, Don Niko."

While the shooter was moved to the warehouse, I took Evangeline to the nearest hospital. The hospital belonged to the Cosa Nostra half of the doctors there were on my payroll. It meant fewer meaningless questions and more work. It meant no fucking police investigation as well.

I placed her limp body on the stature as they took her straight to the operation room.

It took an hour...

A fucking hour to get a single fucking bullet out.

Scott came by, surprised and pissed off about who could have the guts to mess with Nikolai Costello.

I had some ideas about who could try to kill my wife. Starting with Grace Fucking Russell and the entire fucking Russell family. If it's them, I swear to god, I will wipe out their family from the face of the earth. I will kill every little spawn to every shriveled-up old man that has a drop of Russell blood running through their veins.

The doctor came out of the OR with a clipboard in his hand. When he saw me he nodded his head in respect. "Don Costello."

"How's my wife?"

"You've nothing to worry about. The bullet did not penetrate the bone, it simply grazed her arm. The wound was quite big, she lost a lot of blood in a short time but I assure you, Don Costello, she'll heal perfectly in a week or two," he explained and with each of his words, relief filled my body.

"Can I see her now?"

"You may, but she is heavily sedated."

I nodded as I walked straight into her hospital room. I moved slowly and softly in the quiet room and made my way to the foot of the bed. I remained still for a time, my eyes fixed on her feet. Then I looked up at her petite figure resting on the big hospital bed.

My eye trailed all over her fragile form. A form I had grown very accustomed to. The form that perfectly molds into my body when we sleep together. The form that belonged to me, was something I had sculpted and built with my own two hands.