45. Named after a plane

I watched the clock run down to zero with a conflicting feeling inside. We were down by one score but time had run out and we lost. The excitement of playoffs was over. I didn't blame myself for the loss like I might have in the past. I stood by my choice to remove Justin from the team.

I wouldn't let my teammates get to me. I tried my best to ignore their let down faces. I had done what was right and it wasn't my fault they couldn't come together in his absence.

I didn't say anything to my teammates as we started to file off the field. I had stopped pretending to care how the season went. Football was really the last thing I was thinking about right now.

I didn't get very far when I felt someone shoulder check me hard. I stumbled at the impact from the side.

"What's your problem?" I snapped looking over at one of my teammates.

It didn't surprise me when I say who was there glaring at me. Harper was one of Justin's closest friends on the team. I'd never had any real issues with him but I couldn't say we ever got along. He was always on Justin's side so I tended to avoid him.

"You." He spat shoving me back harshly. "First you get with the enemy and now you sabotage our best shot at states. We would have been able to win today if Justin was still on that field."

"We would have been able to win today if you and your little friends hadn't spent all week throwing tantrums instead of actually practicing with the team." I argued.

I knew I was right about that. It wasn't Justin missing that ruin our chances. It was the fall out and how his friends reacted to it.

"You little-," Harper stepped forward threateningly but he was blocked almost immediately.

"Watch it." Monroe glared at our teammate, putting himself between us.

"Can't fight your own battles Barrett?" Harper grinned wickedly at me over Monroe's shoulder.

"That's enough, I suggest you walk away before I make you." Monroe put his hand on Harper's chest pushing him away from us.

"Fuck you." Harper knocked his hand off him and stomped off angrily.

"You okay?" Monroe turned to look at me.

I just nodded. It had been expected that my teammates would be upset when we lost. I knew who they'd blame so I had prepared for the fall out. I wasn't too worked up about it, I was more focused on getting out of here.

After I showered and got changed I exited the locker room with Monroe and Jetson at my side. We were all planning on going out to the bar to wrap the season up with some drinks. I had invited Jake and obviously Becca was joining as well.

When we stepped out I wasn't surprised to see Jake waiting for me. He had told me he was planning on coming to watch my game. This was the first game that he was able to come and watch the entirety of since his season had already finished. It sucked that this was the game he got to watch but I was still happy he made it.

The thing that did surprise me was Connor. He was leaning next to him looking way out of it. It was pretty obvious he was drunk.

"Hey." I greeted them.

Connor lifted his head looking at us. A lazy smile spread across his face and he stumbled a bit to get himself back to standing up on his own.

"Welcome to the no more football club." He slurred and then started to move towards where Jetson was standing with a small smile on his face.

"I didn't know you were coming to the game." Jetson said looking intently at the drunk.

"Wouldn't miss it, you did good out there Jet." Connor threw an arm over Jetson and seemed to lean into him letting Jetson hold up some of his weight.

I looked over at Jake to see him examining the pair obviously trying to figure out what was going on with them just as I was. Jake had told me about finding Jetson in Connors room but I had figured it was probably a one time thing. I hadn't expected Connor to show up to watch our game.

Jetson didn't wait to answer any of the curious looks as he started to walk Connor towards the parking lot. Monroe, Jake and I fell into step behind them.

"I didn't know Connor was coming with you." I said to my boyfriend.

"I didn't either. He just threw himself into my car as I was leaving. I would have kicked him out but I was running late and I didn't want to miss your game." Jake explained.

I smiled at the admission. I loved that Jake wanted to be here to support me. It had been awhile since someone showed up to support me in anything. In high school my father would come to a few of my games but it usually depended on how the team was doing. If we were losing our games he didn't bother coming. I'd seen him leave in the middle of games because he thought I wasn't performing well enough.

It was nice to have Jake here and supporting me even when we did lose.

I snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of Connor's voice.

"Jet." He laughed. "You know you're named after a plane."

Jetson didn't seem all that annoyed by Connor's antics. He just shook his head with a laugh.

"You're drunk." Jetson told the boy wrapped around him.

"I know Jet Plane."

"Is he coming to the bar with us? I really don't think he needs anything else to drink." Monroe asked keeping his voice low.

"Nah I'll drop him off at the house, he'll probably be going out to some party anyway tonight." Jake said.

Connor was a big partier. Whenever I was at Jake's house Connor was either coming from or going to some party. Jake said he didn't stay in very often.

"Connor come on I'll drop you off." Jake called out to his roommate gesturing towards the direction of his car.

"Jet plane, you should come to the party with me. It'll be so fun." Connor looked down at the boy tucked under his arm with a pleading smile.

I watched Jetsons face change as he caved to the taller boy. I had no clue what was going on between the two but it would be interesting to see what happened.

"Okay." Jetson nodded.

"Meet you at the bar?" I asked Jake.

He nodded and then led Connor and Jetson towards his car. Instead of going with them I went with Monroe to go pick up Becca from where she was probably already getting ready at the apartment. She'd left the game the second it finished so she could get changed and ready to head out with us.

It took all the way until Monroe's car for me to realize something. With Jetson going out with Connor it meant our group of five turned into four.

Becca was finally getting that double date she'd been begging for.

A/n:

I've had a real week. My dog got his leg amputated this week and things at work were tough. I'm just happy to have a little break for the holiday. For a pick me up and a treat I figured I'd share the characters birthdays and zodiac signs. I figured that would be something fun for this Friday.

Jake- Virgo (august 30th)
Evan- Pisces (March 13th)
Connor- Aries (March 27th)
Jetson- Cancer (July 7)
Becca- Aries (April 12th)
Monroe- Taurus (may 1st)
Nico- Scorpio (November 18th)
Adam- Leo (august 20th)
Dom- Gemini (June 9th)

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!
-Cora Leigh