20. Fight me

This was a recipe for disaster. Our win streak had come to an end in the most tragic of ways. We should have pulled out the win. We had been up the whole game only for the team to come back and tie up the game in the fourth quarter. We had the ball and maybe it was my fault but the pass was incomplete and the other team got the ball back and scored a field goal for the win.

The team was feeling down but still the party doesn't stop and they all huddled into the football house and have been drinking the sorrows away. Usually I'd go to the bar and drink in peace because I knew what I was in for being here in this house. I'd kept my distance from Justin so far tonight but I could tell he was running his mouth about me.

I'd shown up with a pretty solid plan. I'd show my face hang out with the few teammates I actually liked and then Jake was picking me up so that we could go back to mine and make each other feel better.

I wasn't the only one who needed the release. Westerly hadn't been the only team to lose their game today so fucking out our frustration seemed like a good way for Jake and I to spend our night.

But I'd had a drink and I was feeling annoyed. Each glance over at Justin made my blood boil. I was so sick of him and all the bullshit that came out of his mouth. I'd never had the balls to confront him on any of it. Mostly because it hadn't gotten too bad until I became captain and as the captain I couldn't start fights with my teammates.

Tonight was different. It felt charged with something as I made my way over to where Justin was standing with his friends. The second I was within hearing range and they caught sight of me they all quieted. That was unusual considering Justin seemed to relish in knowing that I heard him and couldn't do shit about what he said. Maybe there was something in my eyes that showed I was done laying down and taking their shit.

"Say it." I said my voice filled with anger.

"Say what?" Justin turned to me a smile on his face.

"Say it to my face Justin. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. Don't act like I haven't heard all the shit you've said about me over the years. I want to hear you say it to my face this time." I snapped.

"You shouldn't even be captain Evan. I don't even know how you got the spot considering you make us lose all our games with your shit throwing."

The words weren't anything I hadn't heard before. I was very unbothered by his insults.

"It's cute that you want to put the blame on me when at least I know how to catch a fucking ball. Next time you want to figure out why we lost look in the mirror butter fingers." If he wanted to do this, I'd be here sending insults right back all night long.

"At least I'm not some cocksucker, it's pathetic having a homo try to tell me how to play football. Go back to dance class you fairy."

And there it was. I had always known it was me being gay that bothered him the most. I just never had the confirmation until now. All resolve in me just snapped. I'd never wanted to beat someone's ass more in my life.

I lunged forward itching to get my hands on his stupid face and beat those words right back into his mouth. I was shaking with anger but the second I moved two thick arms wrapped around me pulling me back. I struggled against the hold trying to get at Justin, who just stood there watching me be carried away with a stupid grin on his face.

"Let me go!" I yelled fighting still.

"Stop struggling."

I sank into the embrace, into his hard chest as Jake carried me out of the room and away from the chaos of my teammates. Justin's face disappeared in the crowd of people and I was happy I couldn't see his face any longer.