43. Get your eyes checked

Jake's pov:

The end of the season party was finally happening. Adam was putting it together and my house had turned into a crowded mess. All my teammates had crammed themselves into our living room and a bunch of people I didn't know kept filing in. For needing to be in control I had done nothing to help set this up. I'd let my roommates do all the preparations and now I was starting to regret it.

It was still the beginning of the party and I could spot way too many messes that I'd need to clean at the end of the night. Empty cups littered the kitchen and the counters were covered in a layer of spilled liquid.

I had to swallow back the need to shoo everyone away so I could get a head start. I would have to try to push the clean up on my roommates too. I knew they'd all be way too hungover to even think about cleaning tomorrow but I really didn't want to deal with it all on my own.

"Where's your drink?" I turned at the voice smiling when my eyes landed on Evan.

I had tried to get him to come earlier but he'd refused. The reason for his refusal stood behind him. All three of his roommates stood behind Evan. I had invited them all to come but part of me thought they might not show. I didn't know why I thought that but I think I was holding out on some hope.

This was the first time my friends would be meeting Evan's. We'd kept the two groups pretty separate until now. I was slightly worried they'd all hate each other. I knew some of my roommates could be difficult, especially Adam.

"I haven't started drinking yet, I was waiting for you." I walked over with my crutches to greet my boyfriend.

"This is your party, you're supposed to be getting super drunk as I make sure you don't do anything stupid." Evan leaned forward pressing a quick kiss to my lips.

"I've got too many idiots to look after." I gestured to where my roommates were huddled throwing back drinks.

Evan let out a laugh at the sight.

"You guys want drinks?" I turned to address Evans roommates.

"Yeah." Becca nodded.

I took her answer to mean they all would want some so I just led the group to the kitchen. I fell into easy conversation with the group as we all poured drinks for ourselves. Being able to get along with Evans friends always made me feel good. I don't know what I would have done if they hated me.

"Finally joining the fun Captain?" Dom clapped me on the shoulder looking down at my filled up cup.

"Not a captain anymore." I told him.

"Doesn't stop when the season is over." Dom just grinned.

I turned to Evans roommates and made some introductions. Dom looked at both Becca and Monroe and smiled. He gave them nice and friendly greetings that I tended to expect from Dom.

"Who let this ugly face in?" Dom turned to Jetson giving him a teasing smile.

"Don't make me hit you Dominic." Jetson just rolled his eyes.

I had already known the two knew each other. Dom had told me about his connection to Westerly early on in our friendship. It was the reason that I went to Dom when I wanted Evans phone number. But just because I knew Dom and Jetson were friends it was obvious Evan didn't.

Evan looked between the duo with wide eyes as he tried to figure it out.

"It's good to see you." Dom walked over pulling Jetson into a quick hug.

"You act like we never see each other."

"Don't judge me for missing my friend, if you'd come play at Kingsley with me I wouldn't have had to miss you at all."