Chapter 39

Peyton POV:

We are currently at dinner. It's me, Paige, Evina, Christyn, Nika, Kate and Tori. We decided to go to Geno's Grille since it's close to campus and it has better food than the dining halls.

We all sit down in a booth towards the back of the restaurant so it can be more private. Paige sits on the end with me next to her, then Nika next to me and Evina, Christyn, Kate and Tori on the other side.

Once we are done eating we just talk to one another as we wait for our dessert to come. Paige has been quiet most of the dinner because she's still tired.

"Are you excited for your season" Evina asks me as I feel Paige hold my hand under the table

"Yea I'm a bit nervous since it will be my first time playing at the college level, but I'm excited" I reply as I rub my thumb over Paige's hand.

"What made you play second" Christyn asks

"It was just the spot my high school team needed someone to play so I tried out for it. But I can kinda play wherever" I say as I feel Paige rest her head on my shoulder

I take my hand that isn't intertwined with hers and rub my fingers through her hair to relax her. When I look over at her I see that she has her eyes closed.

"Do you wanna go back to my room and sleep" I whisper to her as everyone starts a new conversation

"No it's fine" she says quietly not opening her eyes

"Ok, just rest, if you fall asleep I'll wake you up when we leave" I whisper back before looking over at the girls again.

Our waiter brings over our dessert and we start eating it. Paige and I didn't get anything but everyone else did.

"How's that lava cake Nika" Tori asks

"Soooo good" she says practically drooling over the taste of it as we all chuckle at her.

"How was your practice today" Kate asks them

"It was good, a lot of running though, that's why she's like that" Evina says looking over at Paige who looks to be asleep.

"Is she asleep" Christyn asks

"Yea, she was really tired" I say as I gently kiss Paige's forehead.

"Hey guys we got some company" Kate says looking at the large window to the right of us.

We all look over and see some reporters with cameras taking photos of all of us eating.

"They can't give us a break can they" I say looking at them before looking back at my friends.

"Here I got an idea" Nika says "You guys" she says pointing at the girls sitting across from us "Grab chairs from those empty tables and sit at the end of the table to block the cameras from Paige and Peyton"

They all get up quickly and do as she says and sit down at the end which makes the cameras not able to get a good shot of us. Normally I wouldn't mind them taking photos of us but when Paige is literally asleep due to exhaustion it's not right.

After a little bit we pay the check and all get ready to leave. I gently shake Paige awake and she tiredly opens her eyes. "We're getting ready to go but we are gonna go to the bathroom first" I tell her as we all get up, we are still holding hands, as we all walk over the the bathroom.

We didn't have to go to the bathroom only Kate and Tori did but at least in the bathroom the reporters can't take photos of us.

"How'd you sleep" I ask Paige

"Ok, I'm still tired though" she says still not fully awake

"Well I kinda have some not so good news" I tell her

"What is it"

"There are people with cameras outside so when we leave just keep your head down if you don't want them to take photos of you" I tell her as I lift her hood from her hoodie over her head to help block her face from the cameras.

"Ok" she says tiredly hugging me. I slowly rub her back until the girls are done in the bathroom and we leave.

As we make our way to Christyn and Evina's cars Paige and I hold hands through all the cameras keeping our heads down. The girls are in front and behind us which I'm thankful for that way the reporters don't get too close.

In the car, Paige rests her head on my shoulder again until we make it back to the dorms and we head up to her room. We instantly change into our pajamas and I lay down on the bed and Paige lays right on top of me and wraps her arms around me and rests her head on my shoulder again.

I wrap my arms around her and rub her back before kissing the side of her head.

"Goodnight Paige"