Chapter 19 : Debrief

Slava drove a Skoda Rapid, easily blended into the city traffic. She drove under legal speed to a three story building, showed them to the top floor.

"Where is my father?" JoJo asked as soon as they entered the apartment.

Slava explained as she went behind a door to change.

"As of four days ago, your father was reported missing. He didn't show up at the Kremlin for morning meeting, nor has he showed up here in St. Petersburg."

"Four days? Why hasn't anyone told me?" JoJo gasped.

"Official protocol. In the event of any high rank officers gone missing, SFB will investigate secretly, to prevent a stir in the political structure." Slava came out explaining, she has changed into a black tank top and tactical pants.

"Whoever they are, they wanted JoJo badly." Morris said. "Probably leverage to get something out of the General."

"Are you here for me too?" JoJo asked the dark hair woman.

"I'm here for him." the woman turned to Morris. "I'm taking him in."

"Why??"

"He has been put on rogue list. He disobeyed a direct order."

"But he was trying to protect me!" the little girl protested.

"One job does not link to another."

"But..." JoJo was lost in words.

"It's okay, JoJo." Morris said. "The priority is to find your father. I can handle the rest."

Seeing the girl sad, Morris went down on one knee, like the night before.

"Look. You did very well back there. Your father would be so proud of you. You didn't get any good sleep last night, but here it's safe. You go wash up and get some rest. I'll still be here when you wake up."

"You promise?" JoJo almost cry.

"I promise."

"What about you?" she turned to Slava, the dark hair woman rolled her eyes.

"We have a deal. I won't take him until he finished his task."

JoJo took one last look at the two adults, turned and exited the room. Slava put her gun on the table, taking it apart for cleaning.

"Why are you hanging on to her?"

"Long story." Morris took out his own gun and did the same.

"We have all night."

"I don't wanna talk about it."

Feeling the man wanted to be left alone, Slava collected the gun parts and moved away.

"It was in Czech." she heard him say, sighed and sat back down again.

Morris told his story. JoJo reminded him of someone back in the spy days. He spent months hunting down a man named Ctibor, the hitman who eliminated five of his fellow agents.

When he finally had the man cornered, he learned that Ctibor was only carrying out orders to save his daughter, who was held captive by his organization. Before Ctibor died, choosing the honorable way of ending his own life, Morris has promised to rescue his daughter. But he failed, the little girl was executed by the organization, set as example of her father's failure. It has been haunting him since.

"I took a task. You know I can't drop it."

"You help me find the Client, I help you complete your task." Morris looked up at her.

"I can't give you the client's name even if I wanted to. The Office keeps it confidential."

"But you still have access to the database. Right?" Morris turning to her laptop.