Chapter 2 : Task

The rain trapped Morris inside a bar. He has a beer in one hand and phone on the other, refreshing its screen again and again, but his credit remained the same digit.

Would I ever get out of this shithole? He wondered.

He has been an operative for his country in Eastern Europe, until he was relieved from duty. Now he works for the Orion Security Group, a privately funded agency that hires military specialist for special tasks, and he has been stationed in Moscow ever since.

Most of his known operatives were either dead or fled the country for better opportunities. Coming near the age of fifty, he began to wonder if he's going to die alone here too.

He was about to finish his drink and return to his miserable apartment when the phone rang.

The Orion logo popped up the screen, with three stars aligned like Orion's Belt, representing their operations in Europe, North and South America. Morris swept away the coversheet and read the briefing. It was a Search and Rescue task, risk value marked "HIGH", meaning lots of credits involve.

He would rather prefer a mobster take down. Search and Rescue involves finding a target and protecting live assets, which usually complicates the operation. But it was better than getting no work for another month, cost of living in Moscow wasn't exactly cheap.

He tapped the ACCEPT button and a case description rolled out. The target was a nine year old girl, the only child of an Army General Mikhail Siwanov, last seen being picked up from her school.

There were no police report on the missing girl, but with the involvement of a high ranking officer, one might wanted to keep it discreet. The only report related was a burned Mercedes with its chauffeur inside, found in the woods some sixty miles away from the school. No party has claimed responsible.

He swallowed the last of his glass and stepped out the rain, ready to get back to work.