Chapter 20. Lust or Love

Kaitlyn stared at the man who had become her lover as well as her boss as if trying to figure him out. Yes, things had definitely changed between them. They still worked together as professionally as ever until Taylor decided to steal a kiss from her when he thought no one was looking. He always caught her off guard doing that. No matter where they were at - his office in in the financial district, at home, at one of his business events, wherever, the man could not let a day go by without kissing her, touching her, loving her...she blushed at the last thought. And love her he did, it was almost becoming a nightly ritual.

Once again how was she supposed to resist him when he was laying it on her so heavily and aggressively? She may not have been able to admit she was in love with him, but she couldn't deny she was completely in lust with him. He had been everything she ever imagined he would be like and more. She knew it would be good between them. Hell, she'd wanted him the first week he'd brought her here.

On top of that, the man began to spoil her ridiculously. She'd thought the spa was the only gift she would receive from him, but it hadn't. He'd replaced her slippers of course, but the gifts just kept rolling in. She found herself receiving expensive jewelry, lingerie; he'd even given her one of his cars. Whatever he thought she'd like or he thought would look good on her or was good for her, he got it. He made sure she was always dressed impeccably and looked dazzling wherever she went. Kaitlyn was beginning to feel like she was being kept as a little pet that its owner liked to dress up and play with.

But, things had suddenly taken a very strange twist in the past few days over the question she asked one night as she lay in his bed draped over his body after two hours of lovemaking. "Are you sure you're not just in lust with me instead of love? After all, I am someone new, someone you've never experienced before until now..." she had asked.

He'd given her a very hard look and asked. "Do you really believe that?"

"It's easy to get the two confused..." she'd told him.

"I see," he had said and then closed his eyes.

Kaitlyn had a feeling she had somehow insulted him and that feeling was confirmed the next day when he didn't touch her. In fact he had pretty much left her alone and let her enjoy time to herself for the past few days. She got off work on time, had the weekend off to do what she like as promised, but the thing was...now that she had all that time without him intruding on her, she missed him like crazy.

He wasn't cold to her, he still smiled at her, worked beside her pleasantly enough or as pleasant as someone like Taylor could get, but he wasn't pushing himself on her. And the man kept busy, constantly, he was rarely at home. He'd left everything completely up to her and barely monitored her work unless there was a problem.

Now Kaitlyn found herself sitting at the conference table along with his business executives zoning out as she stared upside his head. She wanted him in a very bad way, but she was not about to beg him for it. Oh he still kissed her, still showed her affection, but he'd stop sleeping with her. What was wrong with her? It had only been four days, but that was still too long. She was craving for him so badly, she could barely concentrate on her work. Had he lost interest in her? She knew he would sooner or later, but not so quickly. She had been right all along; it had not been love between them, just lust and infatuation.

That evening as she walked to his car with him, he stopped by a flower stand, to her surprise, and picked out a dozen white roses, her favorite. She felt her heart slowly breaking. So, he was dating again...she should have known it was the reason why he hadn't touched her. He had them wrapped so nicely too, they were so beautiful. She found herself wishing they were for her. When he got back in the car and handed them to her to hold for him, she looked at him with dead eyes and asked dryly... "Do you want me to put these in water and keep them refrigerated and fresh until your date arrives?"