Chapter 12. The Dinner

Kaitlyn looked around the room as she and Taylor sat at a table with two other business associates. The round tables could only hold four people and there seemed to be a hundred of them in the large room. The business dinner turned out to be a formal occasion that awarded business owners and partnerships for their hard work. The room was filled with men in their expensive suits and women who wore some of the most beautiful dresses she'd ever seen.

Kaitlyn felt very self-conscious, hoping the dress she'd picked out didn't seem too plain and the fact that she seemed to be the only Black woman in the room. Taylor should have given her more details about the event. She glanced at him and turned away quickly. He was still staring at her. It was hard enough trying to keep her cool while she sat with such handsome, professional men at their table without Taylor making things more complicated by staring her down. Didn't he know she was super nervous? Did it show? She was not ready for this. Why on earth had he invited her?

"So Taylor, how did you find such a pretty assistant so quickly?" A golden blonde man with light blue eyes asked disrupting her thoughts. He sat across from Taylor and smiled charmingly at Kaitlyn.

Taylor raised his eyebrow at him. "Why are you so interested?"

The blonde looked surprised for a second, and then he grinned. "I see," he glanced at a man beside him with long dark hair and dark eyes who smirked arrogantly. "You do know I'm happily married?" the blonde asked.

"We're happily married," the dark haired man corrected him.

Kaitlyn had no idea what was going on between the two, she wasn't following the conversation and wondered if she missed something when Taylor suddenly looked slightly embarrassed.

"Someone's got it bad..." the dark hair man sung softly, teasingly.

"Don't start with me, you two," Taylor snapped at them.

"You could at least introduce us to the young lady you can't seem to take your eyes off, how rude of you not to," the blonde teased.

Kaitlyn couldn't seem to stop herself from staring at the two men. Both were just too good-looking to be real and from the way they were joking around with Taylor they seem to be friends, close friends.

"She's my personal assistant, she has no name," Taylor said and quickly drunk a glass of white wine.

Kaitlyn snapped her head around at Taylor and glared at him.

The dark haired man burst out laughing.

The blonde covered his face with his fingers and shook his head. "If you want to keep this one, Taylor, you're going to have to brush up on your manners."

Taylor glanced at Kaitlyn and rolled his eyes. "This is Kaitlyn Anna, my newest personal assistant, she's still learning the ropes, but she's doing quite well. Kaitlyn, the blonde Ken doll is Aidan Adair and the caveman is Kale Brayden, two business associates who decided to use my software to get back into my good graces.

"Don't you mean friends?" Aidan asked him with a grin.

"Friends?" Taylor scoffed. "You two disappeared for nearly three years and then I get invited to a pool party last year that you'd forgotten about, fair-weather friends more like it."

"How many times must we ask you to forgive us? We were occupied with someone very important to us," Aidan told him.

"We're using your software man and that shit is expensive, what more do you want?" Kale asked. "Stop whining, you always were a spoiled brat."

"Why don't we step outside, Kale, and we'll see who the spoiled brat is!" Taylor challenged him.

"Anywhere, anytime, bring it on," Kale said raising his glass to him.