Chapter 7. Pedro

Kaitlyn stood in front of the door to Taylor's office wearing her new clothes which happened to be black dress pants and a green button down blouse. She'd decided to wear flats instead of high heels since they would be working at home. She'd almost forgotten where his office was located. It happened to be on the third floor a few doors down from his apartment. Like the second floor, the third floor was also built like a private apartment in which Taylor resided. She supposed the first floor of the house was mainly used for visitors and guests.

It was 8:00m and she could already hear him talking away on the phone. Not sure what she should do - push it open or knock - she decided to knock. At first, she didn't think he heard her when he kept talking without pause and decided to knock again when the door suddenly flew opened. He gave her an irritated look as if he thought she was a simpleton standing there knocking before he turned his back to her and walked to his desk.

Kaitlyn walked into the large office. The first thing she noticed, besides the huge black desk Taylor sat behind, were the enormous glass windows. They gave a great view of the beautiful garden below them. She noticed another smaller desk in the corner of the room to his right and wondered if it was hers.

Taylor finally got off the phone and stared at her. His brown eyes looked her over once before settling on her face. "Where's my coffee?" he asked surprising her.

She could feel her face heating up. "Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't know you wanted coffee. I wasn't told..."

"Rule no 1. Always anticipate my needs. You're more than my personal assistant or secretary Kaitlyn, you're my right hand man or woman in your case. You might as well consider yourself my shadow."

How was she supposed to know he wanted her to bring him coffee? "Most employers get their own coffee," she mumbled.

"Excuse me?" Taylor asked.

"Nothing...If you'd just tell me where the kitchen is on this floor, I'd be happy to get it for you."

"Didn't Richard show you the entire mansion yesterday?" Taylor asked.

"Well, yes, but you can't expect me to learn everything the first time around..."

"Why not? If you'd paid attention, you'd known that this floor is designed exactly like yours. I need you to be sharp at all times, Kaitlyn. Now please, bring me a cup of coffee."

Kaitlyn walked out the room, pissed. What a jerk! She'd just started and he was already getting on her nerves. She found the kitchen and the coffeemaker and stared at it. She'd never made coffee before. She didn't really drink the stuff; she was more of a tea person. Plus, someone had always made it for her or she'd gotten it at Peets or Starbucks. Not wanting to look like idiot, she decided to figure it out herself. How hard could it be?

She opened the cabin above her and found a package of coffee conveniently placed right above the coffeemaker, opened it, and poured the entire content inside the glass coffee pot. She closed the top then stared at the white thin cup like sheets beside it wondering what they were for. Shrugging, she pressed the button and water began to pour into the pot producing the black coffee her boss needed so badly. She grinned, piece of cake.

Once it was done, she found a large mug and carefully carried the coffee to her boss. He was typing away on the computer when she sat it down beside him. "Your desk is over there," he said not bothering to look up from what he was doing.

Kaitlyn walked over to the desk and sat down. She had a very nice desktop computer with two flat screen monitors, a high tech looking phone, and what seemed like a pile of mail in the basket on the corner.

"You should take out a pen and notepad so you can write down your responsibilities," Taylor told her still typing away on his keyboard.

She opened her desk realizing it was already filled with everything she needed for an office. She took a pen and notepad as he requested. He stood up holding his cup of coffee and walked around the room telling her the things she needed to do. Most of it was simple enough, like how to sort the mail, what to say when she answered her phone, how to file his documents, and how to respond to his emails. He pointed out there was a copy room right beside his office where she would scan, make copies, print out documents and even laminate business cards for him. He asked if she knew how to write business letters and do expense reports in which she told him she'd been taught to do in college, but never had real experience until now. He seemed pleased and told her he would help her with the more complex matters that came up.