Chapter 6. The Kitten In The Window

Kaitlyn glanced at Taylor as he talked to the police along with Jason. Jason had run into the back of a car that had suddenly stopped in the middle of the street during a green light. Another car behind them had hit their car causing a chain reaction. Jason had just pulled away from the curb, he wasn't going fast enough for them to get hurt, she couldn't say the same for the car. It was damaged in the front and the back. But it wasn't the car she was worried about; she was still in shock from that kiss she'd shared with Taylor during the accident. What the hell had happened between them? It wasn't just a regular kiss with lukewarm feelings, it practically sizzled every nerve in her body. Her hands were still shaking. Was it normal to feel this way over a kiss with a man she'd just met? Her thoughts strayed to Taylor's reaction after the kiss.

Taylor had taken his time releasing her when Jason slung open the door yelling their names. He'd stared into her eyes for a long moment, completely ignoring their frantic driver before he moved away from her and helped her stand. If Jason had noticed his boss kissing his personal assistant, he hadn't said anything. He was too busy making sure they were not hurt and apologizing profusely. Taylor had asked if she was okay again before helping her out of the car and leading her to the sidewalk.

Kaitlyn glanced at the silver watch around her wrist, another gift from Taylor. She'd been standing there for thirty minutes. A crowd had gathered around watching them. There was an ambulance, but no one needed it. She shivered when a cold breeze rushed past her. It was cold at night in San Francisco, much different from the hot summer nights of the south. She rubbed her arms trying to warm herself.

Taylor finally walked over to her. "I'm sorry that took so long." He looked at the goose bumps on her arms and wrapped his jacket around her shoulders. "We'll take a cab home," he told her and waved his arm in the air to attract the attention of a passing yellow taxi. The cab stopped and they quickly got inside. Taylor told him his address and leaned back in the seat letting out a long sigh.

"Will Jason be okay?" Kaitlyn asked.

"He's fine. I told him to go home, it wasn't his fault. The car is being taken to a shop."

"Oh," Kaitlyn said. "Well, this has been one exciting evening..." She pulled his jacket closer around her. She could smell his cologne on it.

Taylor stared at her. She was staring down at her feet as if in deep thought. Damn, he'd made a mess of things when he'd kissed her. No woman had ever made him lose his control like that. He'd always been professional and conservative around his employees so what had gotten into him now? Sure, she was beautiful, more beautiful than he'd ever imagine her to be after the makeover, but he barely knew her. She was just a young woman he'd felt sorry for, a little thing he'd taken under his wing to keep off the streets. He'd brought her home with him, cleaned her up, and then kissed her. He decided to think about his actions later, right now he needed to fix this.

"Kaitlyn," he said watching her jump before turning around to look at him. It was his fault she was nervous now. "What happened in the car during the accident was my fault. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken such liberties with you. It was very unprofessional of me and I swear to you it will never happen again."

She stared at him as if trying to determine if he was sincere. "Do you always make a habit of kissing your personal assistants?"

"No, hell no," Taylor assured her. "I swear this was the first time I have ever overstepped my boundaries with an employee."

"Why did you do it?" Kaitlyn wanted to know.

"I don't know," Taylor said.

"I thought you weren't attracted to me. I wasn't your type, remember?" Kaitlyn reminded him.