Chapter 23

I walked over to DADA class with Sarah and Hermione. Today was our first day with the new professor and I hoped to set a good impression.

I took my seat next to Sarah as the room buzzed with commotion due to there being no professor in the room.

A paper bird flew throughout the room , students watching it fly through the air.

Students cheered it on until it instantly lit on fire , falling down onto a students desk , making them flinch.

"Good Morning children," Professor Umbridge smiled , entering the room. The lady smirked evilly at us , as students turned around , positioning themselves to her direction.

"Ordinary wizarding level examinations," Umbridge spoke , walking down the aisle. She began writing on the board.

"O/W , and those more commonly known as owls study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe."

Umbridge whipped her wand out as textbooks were placed onto each students desk gracefully , as the woman stood head of the room.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven but you'll be pleased to know from now on you will be following a carefully structured ministry approved course of defensive magic."

I glanced down at the book on my desk. It was a textbook. We would be learning DADA with a textbook.

Hermione's hand shot up in the air the moment her textbook was placed to her desk. "Yes?" Umbridge asked calmly.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione questioned , speaking in a polite tone.

"Using spells?" Umbridge giggled , acting confused at what Hermione had just said. "I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

Umbridge approached the area of desks Hermione sat by. "We're not gonna use magic?" Ron concernedly asked.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure risk-free way who-" Umbridge was instantly cut off by Harry.

"What use is that if we're going to be attacked? It won't be risk free?" Harry protested.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge spoke calmly. "It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be a sufficient to get you through your examinations , which after all is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for whats out there?" He fired back.

"There is nothing out there , dear. Who do you imagine would want to attack children like yourself?" Umbridge questioned.

Was the woman this oblivious? "Oh I don't know? Maybe, Lord Voldomort?" Harry snapped.

Instantly the room started to break out with whispers among the room. Umbridge remained calm as some students flinched at Voldemort's name.

"Let me make this quite clear. You have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large once again," the woman began as she approached Harry. "This. is. a .lie."

I instantly sat up. Was she not aware to how Cedric died. "I saw him! I fought him!" Harry protested. Detention Mr. Potter!" Umbridge snapped.

I instantly sat up , ready to come to Harry's defensive. "So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" I fired.

Umbridge didn't hesitate to respond. "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," she yelled.

"It was murder! Voldomort killed him! You must know that!" I screamed to the woman , offended with what she had just said.

"Enough!" Umbridge shouted as everybody flinched in their chairs, looking away. Everybody except for Draco who was staring right at me. I looked over at him and he looked away instantly.

"Enough," Umbridge repeated , this time more calm."See me later Mr. Potter. See me later Ms. Johnson. My office."