Chapter 50

I tossed around in my bed as Pansy snored peacefully across the room. I couldn't sleep. Again. This wasn't an occasional thing. It was actually more of a common thing for me. For the past few nights , sleeping hadn't come very easy for me.

Every time I closed my eyes , thoughts would block me out from falling asleep. My concerns for Draco and shifting were the main concerns of mine.

As I closed my eyes , once again I started to worry. I worried for Draco. The moment I had found out he was a death eater , I came to realization. Things couldn't be the same anymore.

I was scared for him. He was a death eater , a follower of Voldemort. Who knows what would happen to him if Voldemort wasn't pleased with his work.

I didn't know what exactly Draco had been assigned to do as a death eater , but I knew it wasn't good.

I sat up in bed. Pansy was sleeping across the room peacefully. I quietly pulled my sheets down from my body. Trying to make the minimum amount of noise I could , I slowly tip toed across the room , hoping not to wake Pansy.

I crept down to the common room , regaining my loudness. Most nights I didn't sleep and rather came down to the common room to study or read.

I approached one of the common room couches as I pulled out my book that I had been holding in my right hand. I was the only one down here , considering it was late at night.

I sat back on the head of the couch , and opened my book calmly. I began to read as my concerns faded away. Reading had always been more of a comfort feeling for me. It helped me relax , and frankly during these times it came in handy.

I turned the page of my book slowly as I continued to read on. Suddenly quiet creaks came over by where the entrance of the common room was , causing me to pause my reading.

I placed my book down next to me as I slowly looked over to the entrance of the common room. Thunder struck as the door slowly opened.

Who was up at this hour other than me? I never encountered anybody awake , let alone roaming the corridors outside of the common room.

I sat up to see who had entered the common room , curious to see who was up at such an hour. I looked over towards the door. There Draco stood , approaching the inside of the common room quietly.

"Draco?" I breathed. "What are you doing up at this hour?"

Draco flinched , just noticing he wasn't alone. He stopped walking as he turned around to face me. His face looked tired and his posture was horrible.

"Kimmie?" Draco whispered. "Well , what exactly are you doing up?"

I looked around the empty common room and back at Draco.

"I'm always up," I shrugged.

Draco walked over to me calmly , approaching the couch in front of me. He sat back intensely as he rubbed his eyes , sighing loudly.

"Tired?" I questioned.

"Mhm," Draco sighed looking over at me.

"Are you always up at this hour?" I asked Draco, who was now studying the book I had previously just been reading.

Draco nodded.

"Although I've never seen you."

I positioned my body to face Draco , as I sat criss crossed on the couch in front of him. He flipped though my book carelessly as we both sat in silence.

"Draco?" I mumbled , as Draco looked up at me slowly. "The reason you're up, does it have to do anything with you becoming a death eater?"

Draco looked away slowly. He proceeded to sigh again before looking back at me. I fidgeted with the sleeve of my sweater waiting for Draco's explanation unsure if he would even give one.

"Yes."

I looked up from my hands , back at Draco's face. He was staring directly into my eyes just like I was staring into his.

"I never asked, but what exactly are you doing?Like , as a death eater," I questioned quietly.

"It's complicated," Draco sighed.

"But you can tell me. I mean you trust me, right?"

Draco scratched his head before looking back up me unable to find the correct words to say.

"I was assigned this task," Draco started awkwardly not sure how to explain.

"Task?" I asked Draco confused. "What do you mean task?"

Draco rubbed his hands while fidgeting with his rings. A nervous expression covered his face as he breathed heavily.

"I have to kill Dumbledore," Draco blurted.

Instantly Draco covered his mouth with his hand , shocked he had let his secret go. He looked around quickly making sure nobody had overheard him.

"Kill?" I mumbled.

I was shocked. I knew Draco becoming a death eater wasn't going to be a good thing and there would be many negative outcomes , but I didn't know Draco was going to be put in such a position.

"Kimmie," Draco started. "I don't want to do it. Please don't be mad at me."

I looked into Draco's eyes. I knew Draco didn't want to kill Dumbledore , but he still had to. If he didn't? I didn't want to think about that.

"I'm not mad," I assured softly , speaking directly into Draco's eyes.

I broke eye contact with Draco and instead walked over to the couch Draco had been sitting on , deciding to sit with him. I placed my head in his lap , as he played with my hair. The rain outside fell softly as the breeze in the air blew past us.

"Once this is over we can go back to normal," Draco told me. "I promise."

"I hope," I sighed looking up to the ceiling.

But really were things going to go back to normal? I knew the answer. Things were never going to go back to normal but instead I decided to convince myself they were.