chapter twenty-two

Emily

I'd been in London for five days now. Molly had only been talking when necessary and when she wasn't talking, which was nearly every minute of the day, she was either sitting in the hospital bed and doing nothing, or going to see the baby. She'd completely isolated herself from everyone, even Niall. And I could tell it was killing him more and more each day.

He wanted to hear her happy voice again. The bubbly voice that talks to him and tells him about random and stupid things. But she didn't seem to have any emotional energy to do anything. 

Niall still stayed by her side every day anyway. He hadn't left the hospital once, despite us all telling him that it's ok to head home and sleep, because we all know he's gotten none of that. He refused to let himself fall asleep if Molly was awake, which wasn't very often because Molly didn't seem to have any energy to sleep as well.

Each day I'd gone home with Harry, both of us falling asleep in each others arms straight away from exhaustion. And each day I'd woken up in Harry's arms, both of us going back to the hospital together.

Part of me wondered whether Harry and I were really going to work out again. I wanted us to because falling asleep and waking up with him everyday was something I'd definitely missed the most. And well, it certainly seemed like things were getting better between us.

I turned to Harry as we stopped in front of Molly's private room for the first time today. Once again, it was early, not as early as we'd gotten up the first and second days of being here, but still early.

I looked up to him and it took everything in me to not just reach up and kiss him, even if it's just a small peck. It was something we used to do. Just giving each other a small kiss of reassurance, but I can't do that. Because even though it seems like things are getting better, I can't help but think whether we've both just turned to each other for the sense of comfort and reassurance that we both need right now.

Harry looked down at me too before beginning to lean in. For a second I thought he was about to finally connect our lips, but instead, he pressed his lips to my forehead, something he'd been doing a lot lately.

A small sigh escaped my lips and I noticed, that after Harry's lips lingered on my forehead for longer than a simple forehead kiss would last, that he too let out a sigh. I wanted to think that he was thinking the same thing as me, wanting to kiss me as well, but I honestly had no clue what's going on between us right now, and so I didn't put anymore thought into it.

Harry and I entered the private room but I instantly froze in my tracks at what I saw. 

Niall was laying on the hospital bed with Molly, easily fitting because the bed is bigger than usual hospital beds from being in a private room. 

They were both asleep, Molly curled up into Niall's side as he had his arms wrapped around her, somehow managing to keep a tight hold on her despite being asleep.

My hand shot down to Harry's as soon as we stopped, tangling his fingers in mine. I couldn't help but smile, glad that they'd both finally managed to fall asleep, and even more happy that Molly wasn't isolating herself from everyone now.

Harry gave my hand a squeeze and when I looked up to him, I noticed a small smile on his lips as well as he looked at the two ahead of us.

"Things are getting better" I whispered, turning back to watch the sound asleep Molly and Niall.

"Everything's getting better" He whispered back, and part of me wondered whether he wasn't just talking about Molly. 

I looked up to him and suddenly felt the need to fling my arms around his neck. Harry appeared surprised by my sudden action, but he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer towards him and letting out a content hum.