Chapter One Hundred and Four

It took a moment for Regulus' eyes to adjust to the bright light, but before he could even see he knew he was somewhere unfamiliar.
Somewhere he'd never been before.

He felt sick, as though his body had been thrown through the air like a rag doll. The past few seconds were a complete blur and his last clear memory was of Ignatius pointing his wand at him, and Esme suddenly grabbing onto his arm.

His hands reached out against the cold stone floor of wherever he was. Then he sensed movement beside him, but was not immediately alarmed.

At last, Regulus opened his eyes. He was first met with the dark grey floor that he was leaning over, and was now becoming uncomfortable under his knees. Slowly, he then turned his head to the side to see Esme clambering to her feet, with her wand in hand.

There was a sudden flash of worry through the boy, where he thought he should have his own wand drawn.

"Are you alright?" She asked him, holding out her empty hand for him to take.
"Um..." He looked around the grey room they were in as he was pulled up to his feet, and finally replied, "I'm good. What-where are we?"

Regulus noticed a large portrait of a young girl, only about twelve or thirteen, hanging on one of the walls. It was one of the enchanted paintings that moved and, judging by what the blonde girl was wearing, it was perhaps from the Victorian era.

Esme explained, "I have a vague idea, but I'm honestly not entirely certain."

The room was small and barely furnished except for the large painting, a single leather armchair and a small table beside it which was holding a small stack of leather-bound books and a glowing amber lamp.
On the opposite side of the room were a few steps leading up to a small wooden door - presumably to the outside.

"Why are we not back at the house?" He asked quietly.

Before Esme could answer, the door on the other side of the room opened and a very tall, slender man entered.

"But that can't be right..." Regulus whispered, his eyes opening wide with surprise and shock.

Esme put her wand away in her back pocket and greeted the man as if she knew him.
"Aberforth Dumbledore, yes?" She smiled at the man.

Regulus gulped, "Dumbledore?"

"Indeed." Aberforth nodded solemnly, then suggested, "Perhaps just Aberforth."
Regulus only nodded in response.

"Professor Dumbledore said we could come to you if we needed to." Esme stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "And I couldn't think of anywhere else to go just now."
Aberforth hummed knowingly.

All the while, Regulus was feeling more on edge that he'd been left out of the loop and he desperately wanted answers.
"When did Dum-Professor Dumbledore tell you that? Why aren't we back at the safe house."

"I-I tried to take us back there." She explained, "That was where I apparated us to first but Yaxley had grabbed my shoulder and he came with us and... Well then we couldn't stay there anymore and I panicked, not wanting to duel him, and brought us here."

Regulus gulped. His hands were starting to shake again as the adrenaline coursing through his veins was wearing off. Ignatius had tried to kill him. Esme had saved him. They were now... In Aberforth Dumbledore's house?