Chapter Ninety Six

Esme was not happy.

There were things that made her happy, like eating waffles and reading mystery books and complaining about their muggle neighbours.
She was always pleased to see her friends and, of course, what made her happiest was Regulus. Just being in his company was great.

But even that couldn't make Esme happy now.
Not when she was stood opposite Walburga and Orion Black.

"I've missed you so much." Walburga told her youngest son, "I wish you'd come home. Whatever trouble you think you're in, we can help you fix it."

"I'm not..." Regulus hesitated, knowing he was going to have to lie. He had done it lots before, but never with the mortality attached that this lie had. "I'm not in trouble." He stated finally.

Orion scoffed and rest a hand on his wife's shoulder as he stood beside where she sat in a chair, "You never were a good liar. That girl-" He pointed at Esme, "Has done exactly what we warned you she would. She's dragged you into trouble."

"No!" Regulus exclaimed, "It's-it's got nothing to do with Esme. Don't act like you're better than her."

Esme folded her arms and took a deep breath to try to remain calm as she stood slightly behind Regulus. The four of them had met up in the small, now derelict muggle park in the outskirts of London.
At this point, the evening had thoroughly settled in and the amber glow of sinking sun had washed across the sky.

"Regulus, just come home. For me." Walburga said quietly, trying to mask the hoarseness of her voice.

Truthfully, the woman did look very ill.
Esme made a mental note to apologise to Regulus for assuming his mother had been lying. He hadn't seen his mother in over a year and for Esme it had been nearly two years.
In that amount of time she had changed drastically. Her usual clothes hung loosely off her boney frame and her face was dark and gaunt with weariness.

He sighed, "Mother, I... I didn't agree to see you so I could come home. I just wanted to make sure you're okay. I'm not coming back."

Orion pursed his lips and checked his watch.
Walburga, on the other hand, was not done pleading as she replied, "I will be better if-if you come home. You've got to."

"M... Mother... Mum... I can't-it's not that, actually... I don't want to." Regulus ran a hand through his hair and threw a glance over his shoulder to the girl behind him.
She nodded a couple of times in support and briefly held her hand out against his back.

Then Orion spoke, "You've turned out just like him after all."

They all knew who he meant.
He would never utter his actual name, but they all knew without a doubt that Orion had been referencing his eldest son.
Walburga had slightly flinched just hearing the implication.

"Yes, well..." Regulus hesitated slightly, "I know what a disappointment that is to you both."

Orion hadn't finished though.
He slowly continued, "There's always one in every year. There was your cousin... That stupid girl. Then your brother... Then her."
He looked past Regulus to the girl behind him.

"I don't know-" Regulus was interrupted by his father.
"Anyone who gets close to them ends up dragged down into the mud. I wish I'd intervened earlier... Even before you went to Hogwarts I knew she was trouble."