Chapter Thirty Seven

"Just... Make sure you keep your collars straight." Antoinette Avery fretted mercilessly over her two children, patting down their clothing and combing back their hair.

Dusting off Ignatius' shoulders, she stepped back to look over the two of them. Both of them were quite tall, although this and their brunette hair was the only notable similarity between the siblings.
Esmerelda had very much taken after her mother - deep set green eyes and an angular jawline. She looked much like Antoinette's family (a long line of tall, slender, French, pureblood witches and wizards known particularly for their striking appearances). Ignatius, on the other hand, was resembling his father more and more every day. Both father and son had longer faces, with slightly crooked noses.

"It's fine, Mum, please!" Ignatius writhed, swatting away his mother's hand and adjusting his hair himself.
Esme smirked with amusement, "Oh no, keep going. Ignatius does look an awful mess today."

"Esmerelda." Her mother quipped, "Quiet, please, for once." As Antoinette untucked the collar from beneath Ignatius' jumper, he peered around her to mischievously raise his eyebrows at his sister. In response to this, he was met by Esme sticking her tongue out at him.

Esme was thankful Ignatius was being his usual self. It was a small shining light in the darkness that some normality remained in her life - a brief distraction from the darkness looming over them, the fear of what was to come.

"You both need to make a good impression, yes? For your father. This is very important. Best behaviour mes anges." Antoinette leant down to press a kiss to each of their cheeks, causing her children to blush furiously and wipe it off their faces.

"You're so annoying." Ignatius grumbled under his breath.
His mother raised an eyebrow at him.
"Sorry maman." He mumbled.

Then a sudden crack sounded in the other room.

"Stand up straight." Antoinette told Ignatius, and then turned to Esme, "No wit."
The children nodded once, and with that the woman turned and stored down the hallway to open the front door.

Swiftly, the large front door slid open, revealing several witches and wizards stood on their doorstep. All wearing the finest robes, and carrying an aura of reserved caution, they hovered in the doorway.

"Come on in, welcome." Antoinette greeted their guests.

The Avery household was very large and exquisite - a result of combing the immense wealth of two high-society families. The grounds sprawled the whole width of the valley the home was built in, masking it from the nearby muggle village on the other side of the hill.

Regulus Black was one of the last to enter the house, following closely behind his parents into the hallway. It had been quite some time since he'd been in the Avery home, but it hadn't changed in the slightest.
The walls were still lined with grand, historical paintings and there were more doors leading off from the hall than there were rooms in the entirety of Grimmauld Place.
There was no mistaking the pride the Avery's had in their home, as every inch from the glistening floors to the highly arched ceilings was immaculately decorated.

"They have not arrived yet." Antoinette informed the adults, giving away a sign that she was beginning to get a bit nervous as her accent grew thicker.

Bellatrix coughed, "Well, we wouldn't want to be late now, would we? Never keep the Dark Lord waiting."
"When will he be arriving?" Rodolphus asked, adjusting his robes.

Lucius Malfoy sneered, "Lucas best not be wasting our time. There is important business to be discussed."
Narcissa placed a hand on her husband's arm, "Today is not for business. It's a day of celebration. We're welcoming in the younger ones, after all." She turned to face Esme, a half-smile ghosting over her lips.