Chapter Thirty Five

"How

"How... How do you think it went?" Regulus asked.

"Huh?" Esme mumbled, a little distracted.
He fidgeted awkwardly, "The Transfiguration exam. Did it go well?"
"Yeah... Sure thing."

He chuckled slightly, "Esme..."
"Shut up?" She offered with a slight smirk, planting another kiss on Regulus' jaw and then another on the corner of his mouth.

"You're right, that works for me." He nodded fervently and wrapped his arms around her waist.

They sat together in the library, hidden behind a large bookshelf. At the moment, they were about halfway through their OWL exams and could just about see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, an exciting summer of parties and freedom didn't lie ahead of them. The threat of the Death Eaters and their own initiation continued to loom over the two of them.

"I hear something." Regulus pulled back suddenly, peering around the corner of the bookshelf as he concentrated his senses.

Esme huffed, leaning back in her seat and folding her arms tightly, "By any chance is it the sound of the hundred other people in the library?"
"Hush."
"Did you just 'hush' me? Reg-"

"Well look who it is!" Mulciber clapped his hands together, with a cheeky smirk playing on his lips.

Ignatius laughed, "We've been looking all over for you two."
"Why?" Esme quizzed, "I don't remember ordering a bunch of morons. Do you think they offer returns?"

"You might just be the worst." Ignatius grumbled, sitting down opposite his sister. She scoffed in response, casting a glance across to Regulus.
"Ignatius..." Regulus began slowly, "What are you doing here? You're not even sitting your exams yet, let alone doing OWLs."
The older boy shrugged slightly, "Not my fault I was born ahead of my time. All the people in my year are suck-ups."

"Yeah, Avery and Black aren't as bad as that snivelling Snape who's friends with that mudblood girl." Selwyn cackled with a smug grin.
"Wouldn't be so sure about that." Esme exhaled quietly, earning a tentative glance from Regulus.

Mulciber narrowed his eyes, "What was that?"

"I think she was going to tell us another embarrassing story about Ignatius, weren't you?" Regulus smiled, coming to save her from interrogation.
Rosier leant back in his seat, a wicked smirk spreading across his face, "Great, I need something to distract from the Divination exam I have this afternoon."

"I'm sure any sense of reality would distract you. That's your own fault for choosing to study Divination." Esme sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose as she mustered up the energy to keep putting up with the Slytherins.
Rosier hit back, "Let's just focus on embarrassing Ignatius, yeah?"

"Woah, hold on!" Ignatius stood up quickly, causing the table to judder, "We're not going to do that. Don't you guys have studying to do?"
"We're all here for the express reason of not studying." Mulciber grinned, nudging the boy playfully.