Chapter Twenty Five

Sitting in the Great Hall one morning, Esme picked her other mail and turned the letter over in her hand and a wave of nausea swept through her

Sitting in the Great Hall one morning, Esme picked her other mail and turned the letter over in her hand and a wave of nausea swept through her. Despite only having come up with one idea, she was out of ideas.
Perhaps Andromeda had good news - a solution for Esme and Regulus. However, she doubted this would be true.
Recently, nothing was working out quite how she had wanted it to.
Her gaze was focused intently of the table in front of her as she fell further into her thoughts.

"Esme?"

"Merlin's beard!" She exclaimed, clutching her chest as her life flashed before her eyes. Once Esme had managed to catch her breath, she looked up at Regulus, who was sat beside her. "You nearly gave me a heart attack." She muttered disapprovingly.
"What?" He frowned.

"When did you sit there?" She asked, "I didn't notice you."
"Clearly." Regulus sighed, "I've been sat here for nearly half an hour. I said 'hi' when I sat down. Have you seen the time?"

Esme pursed her lips, mildly irritated at her own ignorance, "No, why?"

It had been a few days since their conversation in the Owlery and neither Esme nor Regulus entirely knew where they stood with each other. They hadn't really spoken privately since, and it appeared neither of them was about to broach the subject.

"I didn't mean to make you jump, I only meant to remind you about your lesson. I mean... Doesn't your Potions lesson start in..." Regulus looked down at his watch, "About 98 seconds?"

"Oddly precise. And maybe..." Her eyebrows furrowed in thought, "I erm... I got this letter, though."
"Letter?"
"I don't know how else to describe it."

Regulus closed his eyes for a moment, calming himself before replying, "A letter from whom?"

Esme pursed her lips; she had hoped to wind the boy up and delay having the conversation they were about to have. Regulus hadn't taken the bait, which only meant she finally had to open the letter and read what it said.

"Andromeda Tonks."

The thought of being on time to lessons was instantly wiped from the boy's mind.

"A-Andromeda... What... I-er..." He didn't know what to say. Regulus wasn't entirely sure if he wanted to know what the letter said.

"I haven't opened the letter." She explained, watching as a wave over emotions washed over his face. She didn't want to worry Regulus anymore than he already was, but there was always the slim chance that the letter bore good news.

Regulus rubbed the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes, "I think I might want to leave it that way. Maybe it's best to not open it."

"You're joking, right? I mean, at first I didn't want to open the letter because I was scared it would be bad news but-"

"Miss Avery... And Mister Black." The two teenagers instantly stopped talking and looked up at Professor Dumbledore, who was peering down at them over the top of his half-moon spectacles, "Isn't it time the two of you headed off to your lessons?"
"Yes, Professor. Nearly lost track of time." Regulus let out a half-laugh and quickly rose to his feet, grabbing Esme's hand and hurriedly leading them out of the Great Hall.