Chapter Forty Eight

"How can you guys support the enemy?" Levi complained as the group walked away from the castle and towards the quidditch stands.

It was the first match of the season: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. Nearly all of the students and teachers were going down to watch the game as there was much anticipation for a close result as both teams had new, highly competitive captains.

"I think you'll find you're the enemy today, Rogers." Esme reminded the boy, and she was very happy that she'd persuaded Piper and Dirk to come down in support of Regulus as well, despite all of their reservations about the rest of the Slytherin house.

Levi scoffed, "Can't believe you're supporting a team with Selwyn on it. Selwyn! Of all people. You do remember when we pranked him last year?"
Piper laughed, "Oh that was fantastic!"

"Of course." Esme nodded, "But we're not supporting him. Honestly, I couldn't name half of the members of the Slytherin team."

"I can't believe this is what my life had become." Dirk hopelessly shook his head, still confused as to how Esme had convinced him to support Slytherin.
Esme laughed and nudged him playfully with her elbow, "You're very welcome."

As they arrived at the stands, Levi went one way towards the Gryffindor seats and the Ravenclaw students turned the other way. It was a little peculiar, sitting in the Slytherin seats. Many of the students decked out in green and silver knew that the three teenagers didn't belong to their house, as most of the other houses banded together against Slytherin.

Ignatius claimed it was because they were jealous that Slytherin won so much.
Regulus claimed it was because most Slytherins were so rude to everyone else.

Esme knew who she agreed with.

"This is a fairly good view." Dirk admitted as they took their seats in the stands.
Piper scoffed, "Just wait till they're flying round. It'll be a challenge to see who's who."

"I just don't understand how this is entertaining." Dirk sighed.
Esme agreed, sitting between him and Piper, "I think it's a result of less intelligent hobbies."

"Merlin, you two are so boring. It's just a laugh, isn't it? Not everything has to be meaningful and life changing." Piper raised her eyebrows.

"Whatever."

Then, as the game began, the stands burst alive with the roar of students chanting and cheering. As the clouds opened up above them and torrential rain fell from the sky, the players shot up into the sky and the game began.
Esme cupped her hands around her eyes, trying to spot the Slytherin Seeker amidst the chaos of players hurtling through the wind, but it was impossible.

The Gryffindor stands chanted loudly above all the others as one of their Chasers caught the quaffle and was desperately barrelling towards the Slytherin goalposts.
As the player in red got closer and close, the calls and yells from the Slytherins grew in volume.

Then the bludger struck.

The Chaser was sent spiralling down to the ground, fast, on their splintered broomstick. Out of the blue, the bludger had smashed into the handle of the player's broomstick and the quaffle had been dropped - swiftly captured by a Slytherin player who was ready below.

"What the hell?" Dirk cried, "How can that be allowed? Isn't that some sort of foul? Red card!"

Piper squealed, "That's the whole point of bludgers! Wow, that was something!"
"I think you mean that was brutal." Dirk complained, wiping the rain off his face.

The Gryffindor students booed, the sound bouncing around the whole pitch as the wooden stands shook beneath them. Quickly, this was drowned out by the Slytherins cheers as the quaffle was finally out through the Gryffindor central goal.