Chapter 20: Elle

July 2

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

Greyson snuck out at close to six o'clock this morning. I already miss his warmth in the bed on my porch. I love sleeping out here, but it was a little chilly last night. Wrapping the large knit blanket around me, I wander back into the open living room and kitchen in my cabin to brew coffee.

I notice Hud, sprawled across the two sofas he's pushed together. The large, fluffy duvet is pushed down to his hips. I set the coffee to brew, then run and jump on him, snuggling deep into the soft cushions and wiggling my way under his arm.

He smiles without opening his eyes. "Morning, Ellie."

"Morning, sleepyhead."

"Sleepyhead? I'd bet my left nut it's not even seven yet, right?"

I can't help but giggle at his ridiculous comment, cuddling closer, rubbing my freezing cold feet against his warm legs. He jerks as my cold skin comes into contact with him but otherwise lets me use his warmth. "Maybe."

He shifts his head until his lips press against my temple, nose in my hair, his eyes still closed. "Talk to me, Elle, how did you and Grey go from it's complicated, and you don't know, to a full public display of affection?"

I sigh, "I had no idea he was planning to tell anyone, let alone everyone last night. I wanted to tell you officially first, but well, here we are."

I snuggle deeper into his loose embrace, resting my forehead against his warm shoulder. He rubs my back gently, warming me up before squeezing my shoulder. "It's okay. I knew it was only a matter of time till you figured it out, plus Grey's been pretty zen lately, and he's never that well, chill, I guess."

"Yeah. Anyway, enough about Greyson and me. I can tell you all about it later. Tell me, what's up with you and Jules?"

I feel his smile against my skin, "Wouldn't you like to know."

"I would, actually, that's why I asked you goof." I roll my eyes, knowing he can't see me with his eyes closed, but he knows my reactions too well and he tightens his grip on me.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, Ellie," his fingers dig into my ribs, ticking me. I squeal and try to escape, but he's got me. My arms are trapped against my side, and he's hooked one big leg over mine. Left with only one option to escape his strong grip, I bite him on his shoulder. Hard.

He yelps in surprise, twisting playfully until I'm facing away from him, spooned back against him. He relaxes, settling back to a sleepy state, his head pressed against the nape of my neck. I'm content to lie here and drift off again, wrapped in his warmth.

I wake up a short while later to Jules sitting on the counter, sipping coffee. She looks a little sad, watching us with a strange expression on her face.

I hadn't even thought about whether she would be upset to see Hudson and me like this. I've shared a bed with him hundreds of times, I just don't think about those things when it comes to him or the other boys, really.

I rub Hudson's arm to wake him up and slide out from his embrace. He groans, eyes still closed, "Sure, now you leave when you're not a freaking block of ice. I see how it is. Using me as your personal furnace."

I smack him with a pillow, laughing as I walk towards the coffee maker, pouring two more mugs and offering to top Jules up. "Morning, Jules. How did you sleep?"

She smiles shyly, holding her mug out. "I slept well, what about you guys?"

Hudson groans. "I'd still be sleeping if my little ice cube of a best friend hadn't woken me up at the crack of dawn."