Chapter Eight.

~Sarima's POV~

I walked briskly on the tarred pedestrian walkway that had THE UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS inscribed over the bearings on the entrance or the school's main gate with both my sisters in tow.

We'd just alighted a stuffy Danfo bus some minutes ago, and I prayed that the cheap perfume I'd doused on myself before leaving the house would cover up the lingering smell of the fish that the passenger who sat beside me had carried into the bus not minding that it was causing a massive inconvenience to the other passengers.

Campus shuttles were filled to the brim, moving to and from the gate, and students were all over the vicinity. Some who were behind schedule on important activities were in a hurry, like me, while others were taking their time, like Somi and Homa, who were behind. However, all the activities indicated that ASUU had called off the strike, and resumption had fully commenced.

My head was aching. I don't know if it was from lack of good sleep due to working late into the night, I was supposed to get some footwear and handbags delivered for Ronke, and I didn't want to disappoint.

Or the migraine could be because of the noise from the compound earlier today.

I'd awoken from my short sleep this morning to hear the banshee scream of mama Chidiebere and as usual, she was hurling insults and profanities at her housemaid for Stealing goods and money from her provision store.

While our next door neighbour, Mercy, was barely around and rumoured to be a runs girl, none of my business–was on her usual morning singing marathon that always annoyed me. Somi would say I was a hater because mercy's voice was adorable. As for me, her talent could be well used elsewhere and not in disturbing the neighbourhood's peace.

One of the downsides of living in a public compound.

My phone began to ring, and I dipped my hand into my big bag, hoping it wasn't Onome calling again to say I was late.

I squinted as the sun didn't make it easy for me to make out the caller.

I increased the brightness, getting a glimpse of the impromptu broadcast message received this morning from the course rep following the order of the HOD for a meeting.

I swiped it away from the top of the screen where it was pending as an unattended notification and also swiped to answer the unknown number calling again.

"Hello," I answered, wiping away the sweat that stuck to my forehead with my forearm.

"Hey, Sarima," there was a slight pause as I tried to place the male voice that carried the smooth English but couldn't. "You must be wondering who this should be...I guess". His words were accompanied by a little nervous laugh. Then he muttered something like I don't usually do this.

I was still waiting for him to talk as the call was slowing my steps and keeping my attention divided from my main objective: arriving at my faculty before Dr. Benson Kalio got there before me and would decide to embarrass me with his bad jokes. I'd fallen victim to it too many times and didn't want his interest to be picked by my tardiness again.

"It's Ayo"

Who's Ayo?

Oh

Benz and smooth English Ayo.

So Homa wasn't bluffing when she'd said she gave him my number.

That witch.

I turned back with a frown, my eyes searching for my sisters amidst the many students in motion. But unfortunately, my sisters were nowhere in sight.