Chapter One.

~Sarima's POV~

" Ohhhmmm, leave me nau!", The voice I'd grown too familiar with heightened in belligerent octaves as I approached the entrance of the public compound where I resided, back from work.

What was going on again?

I hastened my steps kicking dust on the dirty floor with dry, muddy cracks having dirty nylons and old sachet water nylons too encrusted halfway into it.

I wondered who my twin sister–Somi was having a heated and unfriendly exchange with; as I heard the murmuring noise of some neighbours, I walked through the compound's entrance, having a dwarf fence occupying the right side adjoining Mama Chidiebere's shop.

The decade-old fence had a big 'X' mark drawn with red paint that showed it had been earmarked for demolition three years ago when I moved here. The wall was as good as useless as it tried to compensate for the lack of a gate and housed the likes of lizards.

Finally, I came into sight of the situation, confirming my thoughts. Somi was breathing heavily, and the landlady–Iya Kemi's hand, was wrapped in a tight hold around her waist, stopping her from venturing into attack mode. They were all so engrossed in the situation no one had noticed my arrival. Somi was quarrelling with Alice, one of the neighbours' girlfriends. Obi, her boyfriend, was also trying to pull her back into their room.

"Imagine this brat, you no know who I be for this Agege o...babe leave me", she tried to wriggle out of her boyfriend's hold, unintentionally elbowing him in the process.

Somi cackled without humour, "me, brat? Ogbeni leave her! This brat Will disfigure your body..."

"....what's going on here?" I interrupted my sister, finally making my presence known.

All eyes settled on me, and Alice gave out a disdainful hiss. I ignored her, focusing my heated glare on Somi.

"Ah, thank God your sister is here," Iya Kemi said in a heavily accented Yoruba voice, her grip on Somi neither wavering.

She didn't have her usual headgear or turban, and I noticed a few strands of grey on her tightly packed, relaxed hair. I saw her hair for the very first time.

"Can you imagine this idiot touched my ass..." Somi said, referring to Obi.

Wait, he did what?

My eyes flew to the accused as he was clad in a shirt and trousers. Unfortunately, the shirt was unbuttoned, exposing his unhealthily bleached skin as sweat trickled down his temple. I looked at his huge black lips and wondered how Alice could stand kissing that.

"Abi, you were throwing yourself at him?" Alice deadpanned.

I directed my gaze at her, my face mirroring disgust. Does this one even know how to use her brain?

"Me, Throw myself at this ewu?" Somi laughed heartily "you Sabi hype your boyfriend o, girlfriend of the year, opoor!" She flicked her nose towards Obi, "This one that somebody can perceive his body odour even from a mile away?" Shaking her head, "Dey there dey claim wife material, ode."

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who noticed his mood-destabilising smell.

Iya Kemi snickered, and I could hear faint chuckles from the onlookers.

The children who'd been playing too had also abandoned the Milo and Milk cans and cartons they'd initially filled with sand to come and feed their eyes.

"Na your papa get body odour," Came Obi's comeback.

Mumu

"E don do abeg, Look here Obi..." I referred to him as already irritated by his charade