Chapter Twenty Five.

~Kene's POV~

Amos opened the giant blue-coloured gate that leads into the Adesina compound, I drove in and was welcomed by a very strong nostalgic feeling, unsure of the reception I was going to get, I was equally excited that I would be seeing father after two years, although I would have preferred if he was in a much better state than Elsie described tearfully Notwithstanding, I know however my visit turned out, he would remain proud of me.

I had flashbacks of how I'd moved my bags out of this compound heartbroken, two years ago. After returning from the cell and dropping my resignation letter at the office of the director of Luxe living furniture co. I'd been framed for syphoning company's funds and arrested.

I blinked, shaking off the feeling.

Two days ago, Elsie called me in tears. "You have to come to see daddy. He keeps asking after you."

"Is that why you are crying?" I was concerned.

"Daddy is sick Ken. He is very sick. He has lost a lot of weight." She sobbed over the phone.

I prepared myself to take the first flight from Lagos to Abuja the next morning, but the Nigerian airport put a hold on domestic flights for two days.

In Nigeria, policies like that don't come as a surprise, though I did not understand why they make such decisions. However, because I barely know anything about how the aviation industry works. I didn't question their decision. Instead, I fueled my car and embarked on the ten-hour journey to Wuse, Abuja by road.

"Oga Kene. Welcome, sir." Amos greeted me, as I parked my car, running towards me as I unplugged my seat belt. Amos has been The Adesina's gatekeeper for a little over six years. Therefore, he was well familiar with me.

He helped me with the fruit basket I brought out of the backseat of my car. Together, we reached the stairs to the building.

Home is where the heart is - The inscription on the frame, placed on the door, is still well plastered.

It was over two years that I left this house in anger, despair and confusion, not knowing the next step to take next, or where to head.

Emeka was a significant part of my transition journey. He hosted me in Lagos for a couple of weeks before I got my first apartment. Through the influence of his godfather, I was able to secure my woodwork factory - Grandeur furnishings; I named it.

Janet was in the living room, sitting on the white-coloured single sofa with her right leg crossed on the other.

"Good evening, Mummy." I bent my back as a sign of respect.

"Welcome Kene. I hope your journey wasn't too stressful?" Janet sounded caring and sincere. She shifted slightly in the single sofa that faced the 70 inches full LED TV that took up a significant amount of the wall.

"It was a bit stressful ma." I replied awkwardly.

"Pele, my dear" Janet responded. I wondered if Janet was getting fond of me, or it was just a facade, like she did sometimes.

Amos dropped the bag of fruits on the dining table and left immediately. A petite dark-skinned girl appeared from the kitchen. "Good afternoon, sir." She seemed nervous. She must be the new house girl Elsie told me Janet had recently hired.

"I want to believe you are done frying that plantain, Victoria. I will be crossed with you if any is burnt!" Janet spoke softly in her rich low voice.

"I am done frying it, ma." The petite girl slurred her words.

I ignored their interaction and made my way into daddy's room. This is the house I grew up in, I am very familiar with every nook and cranny. It was in this house, Elsie and I would play hide and seek. I made a sharp right turn down the corridor.

Daddy's room was right next to Yemi's. The house that used to seem so busy echoed emptiness. No children to disturb displacement.

The door to daddy's room was left ajar. He was asleep when I opened the door. The man I grew up with would wake up at the sound of a slight noise. I moved closer to him and observed how frail he looked laying down. I felt pity for the once muscular man with an intimidating frame laying on the bed.

I sat by his bed. He rolled before opening his eyes. He wiped his right hand weakly over his face.

"Jide!" He called me as if he was dreaming or unsure of what he was seeing.

"Daddy!" I smiled.

"Jide!" He called again.

"Yes dad, it's me." I smiled again.

He struggled to sit up while I assisted him. I saw the man I know behind that frame. He hated being pitied or assisted.

Tears welled up in my eyes.

Daddy is the reason behind the man I am today. He saved me from a life of ignorance and abject poverty. He is my saviour and I know he deserves a long and healthy life. I quickly prayed under my breath that I would not lose this man to this sickness. I couldn't help myself as the tear unashamedly rolled down my cheeks.

I sobbed ashamed that I'd abandoned him out of anger and hurt. Nothing was enough of a reason to abandon him.

"No. Don't do that, Jide." He moved closer delicately, drawing me in. "I am sorry, Jide, for everything that happened. I know you would never put the company in such a state.

"He was also teary at this point but held his tears more than me. In over fifteen years, I had never seen daddy break down.

A few moments after the vulnerability of emotions between daddy and me, the petite girl knocked before letting herself in. "Dinner is ready sirs," she addressed daddy and me together.

"Okay. We'll be there in a minute Victoria," Daddy replied as I helped him to stand.

"I thought I taught you, children, never to visit people empty-handed." That was daddy's first statement as he settled down at the dining table.

"Trust me, daddy. I brought fruits for you."

"Next time you are coming home. Please come with fruits and a wife. I'm getting old o Jide. I need my grandchildren from all of you to come to spend the holiday with me."

Oh!

My mind sadly went back to Sarima, and I didn't like that that was where my thoughts ran to at the mention of having a family.

**************

Goodness