Chapter Thirty-Nine

Colt had been granted permission from Dana to leave the base in order to head to the city to find Jeremy and visit the scientific association. Of course, Dana wanted to go with him, so she put on an appropriate disguise that would throw the scientists off the fact that she wasn't a human. At the very least, if they suspected she was one, it may have made them feel more comforted in a way in which suggested that aliens were not something to be feared. After all, they had only ever been seeking refuge from their old home planets that had fallen apart. Once Colt met with Jeremy in his office, though, he had not been expecting his next word. 

"President Arthur is dead," Jeremy said. 

Colt's eyes widened in alarm. 

"Wha-" 

"He was found in his office a few days ago...although the reasons as to why this happened are fairly inconclusive. It was known across the city that he had a drinking problem, though," Jeremy mentioned then. 

Well, Colt hadn't known about this, but then again, his thoughts had been rather preoccupied. 

"Would anyone have had a motive to hurt him?" Colt asked, concerned. 

Before Colt's question could even begin to be answered, Thea soon stepped into the room, and while Colt was surprised to see her there, it was nice all the same. Thea was in a dress suit, so it appeared that she was working alongside her father on current issues. The main one at present was the discovery of extraterrestrials, which hit just a little too close to home. Nonetheless, Colt was aware that Thea had wanted to follow in her mother's footsteps and it appeared that she was doing just that. 

Colt was glad to now be  apart of the scientific community, but he couldn't help but feel a little concerned with the growing knowledge that aliens were among them on planet Earth. He had to make a mental note to himself for a moment to not call them aliens. After all, it wasn't deemed the greatest of terms for those who actually were from other planets. Dana just gave him a grateful smile then, and Colt assumed that she had been reading his mind. 

Dana had come along because she wanted to gain any further information on how the current situation could be affecting her and her people. 

"With the president dead, who is going to take over?" Dana asked him. 

Jeremy just gave a small shake of his head. In truth, he wasn't all too sure. 

"I think I'd like to run for president," Thea stated then. 

"You can do that?" Dana wondered aloud. 

Back on Galaveri, most of the time women had not been allowed into main leadership roles, they had to fight their way in. Dana had thought the entire system to be corrupt, so she was glad when Thea nodded, and she had confirmation that it wasn't like that everywhere. 

"We can indeed," Thea said. 

"Thea just needs a little more time at school before-" 

"I've finished college...I'm practically an adult now, Jeremy," Thea told him. 

Colt met Dana's gaze then and they both smirked in amusement as they looked towards the both of them. 

"I can do anything I put my mind to. Mother's orders!" Thea remarked then. 

Thea knew that the main way to get around her stepfather was to play the Lani card. Most of the time, it worked, though even she considered it to be a slightly manipulative tactic. She was still getting used to Jeremy being the main parental figure in her life. It was a slightly odd adjustment, but life wasn't normal for any of them anymore.