Chapter Twenty

Aurora didn't know what she was feeling, honestly. Perhaps it was a mix between shock and surprise. In any case, she was conscious of the fact that her heart felt as though it was going to pop right through her chest at any moment. She just looked up to meet Colt's eyes and exhaled as she replayed the whole event in her mind. Colt had kissed her. He still wanted her. She could tell as much. She couldn't help but allow the corners of her lips to twitch up slightly then.

Aurora didn't know what to say. So, as Colt had, she went with what she could do as she stepped closer to him and allowed her eyes to flutter closed as she kissed him once more. She took Colt's hand into her own once the kiss had ended and led the two of them down the hall and into a spare room do they could discuss what had just occured with some privacy.

"I am never going to be able to stop feeling the way that I do, Colt...but I'll ask you again despite that. Are you sure you're happy with me?" Aurora asked him.

"I'm certain."

She nodded in an understanding manner, despite the anxious feeling in her chest that she tended to get when she thought on the subject of Colt and her possibly not being together. After all, she knew that her worst fear would always come from being unwanted. However, in that moment, with Colt, she had never felt more wanted in her life before.

Colt knew the feeling of being unwanted too well. To take their minds off what had just happened, he began to speak. he spoke about his childhood and how he had loved being with his real blood parents, before he began to talk about what came next. After Colt's parents had died during world war three when he was only young, he and Lark had been taken in by a wealthier governmental family. They knew about the existence of extraterrestrials. Colt had overheard them talking about it one day. Nonetheless, when he relayed this information to them one day his adopted father hit him and told him to not repeat anything he had said, which had ultimately caused Colt to grow very distant from the both of them.

Eventually, Lark took Colt with him when the two of them moved away from his parents. Lark decided to follow in his adopted father's footsteps, and with his intelligent brother by his side, the two of them began to learn more about extraterrestrials.

"What happened?" Aurora asked then.

"You already know. Before that, though, my parents had me locked in the spare room because they thought I would go blabbing to everyone about what my governmental father had said," Colt explained.

"I'm sorry, Colt," Aurora said then, as she edged closer and gently looped het arms around him. "You're safe now, though," she told him in an affectionate manner.

"I know. As for you, for as long as you live Aurora I made a promise to myself and I'm making one to you now to keep you safe," he told her.

Aurora just smiled at him then, the quick heart beat returning to her for a moment before her eyes fluttered closed and she slept with Colt looking out for her.

Meanwhile, Leo had entered Albi's room to discover that Lani and Jeremy would be marrying at the base later that day.

Due to this, the society members headed home. Fortunately, Colt had managed to wake up Aurora, who was rather sleepy. He supposed it had been the overwhelming trip to the city that had taken a lot out of her. However, if he knew Lani, he knew that she may be returning, one day. Aurora wasn't aware of it yet but Lani wanted to make her representative for the Galavers in an attempt to introduce the race of extraterrestrials into the human world. This was something that she would discover eventually.

The next day, Jeremy and Lani's family came to visit the base. Jeremy looked around it with visibly impressed eyes. It was not the first time visiting for Thea or Albi, but although they would have liked to visit more, Lani had often told them that their college work was more important.