Chapter Thirteen

Nova had headed to Dana's office later in the day to discuss Aurora with her, and to make sure she was aware that Aurora needed some time away from training due to the strain that it was having on her mind and abilities. Dana respected this decision from Nova, and acknowledged that she was going to have to spend time getting other tasks completed around the base while Aurora rested. Dana recalled that when she was a child, she had been nurtured by her parents, of course, but aside from that, they had often pressured her to develop her abilities as often as possible. As such, Dana knew all too well how Aurora was probably feeling, and so decided it best to leave her to it for the meantime. Of course, with all the pressure that had happened with her family wanting to develop her powers, Dana had once yelled to her father during her training one day, "I hate you! Leave me alone!", in her frustration. Dana had since then considered it the worst thing to have ever come out of her mouth. After the events of the evacuation took place, Dana had never forgotten that such a thing had occurred, and she had always regretted it. However, all she knew she could from that point onward was to fight the best that she was able to. 

Dana's mind still thought back to the event every so often. 

As luck would have it, Colt and Peia wandered into her office then, which helped her to take her mind off the ghosts of her past. 

With Aurora currently resting up, Dana had been reliant on the two of them to complete some tasks. These mostly involved checking that all the systems and AI around the base were in perfect functioning order. 

Dana was the leader of the base, and as such she had a duty to ensuring that work was carried out around the base. She hoped that one day she would be able to add more members to her team in order to have a proper extraterrestrial society formed, but for now, those that she did have would do. She was a strong person, and had worked hard to discover more about the beings from her galaxy and whether there was a chance that she would find more of them out there. The incoming space craft, of course, had signalled to her that her theories were correct. However, Dana was also a very independent soul, and as such she had tried to figure out as much about this incoming invasion of sorts before she had spoken to Lani about it. Lani, essentially, was the head of the scientific community, for the extraterrestrial branch, that is. 

Nevertheless, Lani and her co-workers had to remain secretive about what they researched and knew about, as not all humans were good to humans. Lark Richmonds was a great example of this. He had abducted Aurora and had wanted to use her abilities for his own benefit. This was why Dana was so protective over the other beings in her care, because she didn't want anything bad to happen to any one of them. 

Dana gave Peia and Colt kind smiles as they sat down opposite her. She was smart, though, and despite the work that she had gotten them to carry out, she was aware that there was more between the both of them than was said out loud. Dana was good at reading people, and she could tell that Peia had feelings for Colt, and although at first it had caused her pain, she took her role at the society seriously enough to avoid letting it bother her all too much. The person she truly felt concerned for was Aurora, but she was currently sleeping, unaware of what was occurring in the world of the conscious. Despite this, Dana respected Peia, and she knew that feelings were unpredictable. All she could do was watch to see what happened between the two of them. 

"We should take a walk later today," Dana said then. She had spent just a little longer in the base recently than she would have preferred to admit to. Besides, she had to be brave, even if there was the slightest chance that there was an alien out there she had not yet met, she didn't know it was bad. She had to pluck up that bravery that her parents had instilled in her and allow herself the chance to take some off time from her work.