Bucky Still Isn't Found

After a month of falling soon after take-off, I was finally able to fly and stay up. I had quickly accepted the wings and was used to them within a week. Sleeping with them wasn't even an issue anymore.

I flew around the room, my wings not touching a thing, while Bruce watched and recorded. I landed on the ground and folded my wings expertly. "How was that?" I asked Bruce. I put my hands on my hips, panting.

"That was perfect!" Bruce exclaimed.

I smiled and chugged two water bottles. Flying was fun, but it was also exhausting. Bruce said the more I practiced and strengthened my wings, I'd be able to do it effortlessly.

Tony walked into the room and looked around, searching for something to be broken.

"Don't worry, Stark. I didn't break anything. Yet." I smiled and started my third water bottle.

"Good. Keep it that way." Tony went to the table with his latest toy and started messing with it.

"By the way, do you think you can make me a suit? If I'm going to be an Avenger, I need a suit that can accommodate my wings and my fire. I can't burn through a suit every time I wear it." I thought for a moment. "I'd also like something that could protect my wings. Can you do that?"

"I've already started on it." Robyn walked into the room, holding up a piece of cloth. "This here is fireproof and super comfortable."

Tony looked at his estranged daughter. "When did you get into suit making?"

"Since Nat needed a suit upgrade last year." 

"You made that? It looked fantastic!" Tony complimented her work.

"I know. Just don't tell anyone outside of the tower or I will kill you, Tony." Robyn glared at him as she walked toward me. "Here, you can feel it." She held the cloth up to me.

"Wow, I really like this. It's going to be a great suit, I can already tell." I smiled.

Robyn smiled and left the room with the cloth.

"She still calls me 'Tony'..." Tony sighed.

"She just needs to get comfortable with saying the word 'dad'. I'm sure she's never really said it." I shrugged. "Now, I need to work out my other muscles." 

I walked toward the gym. JARVIS told me Steve was there, working out, so I decided to join him. When I entered the gym, Steve was by the punching bags, punching away. I sat on the bench next to him and started wrapping my hands. I didn't need to change, since I wore my workout clothes when flying.

"How is your flying?" Steve asked, pausing for a moment.

"Great. I think I've finally gotten it down." I smiled as I stood up and started to stretch.

"That's good." Steve started punching again.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'll have to show you some time."

Steve was wearing a well-fitted, blue shirt and grey sweatpants. He looked amazing as he worked out, and it was hard keeping my eyes from wandering. Beads of sweat dripped down his face, his shirt soaked. He must have been going at it for a while.

"Are you okay, Steve?" I asked, walking toward him.

"Fine." Steve grunted.

"You don't seem fine."

Steve ignored me and I couldn't help but think that maybe it was about Bucky again. I sighed and walked toward the large track a couple feet away, deciding Steve might have needed all of the punching bags. Getting into a running position, my legs tensed. We hadn't found anything about where Bucky might be. I even stayed at the tower this entire time, having moved out of Steve's apartment. I used all of Tony's technology to help me track him down, but Bucky was hiding well. 

I knew Steve would need a few minutes to punch it out, so I let him do so.

I began to run, starting at a full sprint, going not nearly as fast as I used to be able to. I must have lost the ability to run fast. 

Steve watched me as I ran, finished punching and unwrapping his hands. I slowed down and stopped right in front of him, panting. 

"I can't run fast anymore. I can't run like you anymore, I run like Sam. Like a normal person." I concluded, explaining it to Steve. "What happened?"

"I don't know. Maybe the development of new powers later takes away old ones?" Steve suggested.

"Maybe. I'll have to tell Bruce." I sighed and looked at the punching bags. "Mind if I go a round?"

"Not at all."

I went over and started hitting the punching bag hard. "Tell me what's wrong, Steve." 

"It's nothing, really."

"I know it's about Bucky. I'm sorry, Steve..." I grunted and started to kick the bag. "But I need a bit more time. I've tried everything I know how to do, but he doesn't want to be found."

Steve sighed and sat on the bench about three feet away from me. "Alexx, stop thinking you know what's going on in my head. I just...it's not Bucky all the time."

"Sure feels like it, Steve." I punched the bag hard, about where someone's head would be. Steve stood up and I could feel his eyes on the back of my head. "Glare any harder and there will be a hole in my head." I turned around and put my hands on my hips, both still in fists. "Please, just give me more time."

"Fine. I'm going to take a shower." 

Steve turned around and started walking away. 

"Steve." I sighed and walked toward him. "We need to talk."

Steve ignored me.

"Steve, stop." I spoke louder.

"No, Alexx. We both have very complex emotions right now, a lot is going through our heads. We can't possibly comprehend what the other is going through." Steve replied.

"I can!" 

Steve stopped and turned to me, eyes widened a bit. 

"I know what you're going through, because I knew Bucky. I basically grew up with him after my family died. He was like a big brother to me, and now, knowing that he's out there, scared and hiding, I am pissed at myself because I can't find him. I can't do shit because for some reason, I'm losing all of my powers at once." Tears began to fall down my cheeks.

"What? What do you mean you know Bucky?" Steve asked.

I sighed. "I can't. I've told you too much already, I can't do this." 

"Alexx, please. Don't keep this kind of secret from me." 

"I have to, Steve. It physically hurts me. If I took down the tons and tons of barriers I have around my heart, letting out everything I've kept in for so long, I don't think I could handle that." I paused, licking my lips. "I can't, especially now, when I've learned so many horrible things about myself. You can't know about that, not from me."

"You have to let people in, that's the only way you can be helped. Just let me help you."

"There is no way you can help me!" I screamed. "You can't! I shouldn't even be in the same building as you, not now. I..." I sighed angrily. "Steve, I was kidnapped when I was young. The Winter Soldier was the one who found me. He had killed my parents, my sister...my whole family. HYDRA took me and turned me into a weapon. A winter soldier. I..." I paused to not cry over my words. "I was given my powers and trained to kill a specific person, and those instructions are still here." Tapping the side of my head, I sighed. 

"Steve...I'm supposed to kill you."