Rescue Mission

Steve's POV

Tony led us to the base. It had been almost two months since Alexx was taken from Florida. We had searched everywhere, and I was going crazy.

Tony had finally located where Alexx's phone was and knew she'd be with it. Deep in my stomach there was a knot, twisting itself, telling me that Alexx was in trouble. I trusted that feeling and told everyone to prepare for the worst.

We got to the base with no trouble at all. We took out the few guards and made our way to the back door.

I pried the door open and we all slipped inside. Bruce, Abby, Robyn and Miranda stayed back in New York, making sure Miranda was okay. Nat, Clint, Tony, Ryan and I were on a rescue mission. We went through the maze of halls, taking out everyone we saw. Soon we reached a prison like area. A woman and a big man stood facing a cell.

I threw my shield and it slammed into the man's head. The woman spun on her heels, surprised.

"That's Ashley!" Ryan exclaimed. She quickly ran down the hall, away from us.

"Nat, get her. Alive." I ordered.

Nat smiled. "With pleasure." She ran off after Ashley.

Clint made sure the man was knocked out and tied up while Ryan picked the lock on the bar door to the cage Ashley and the man were in front of, and threw it open. I put my shield on my back and knelt beside Alexx.

I placed my hand on her shoulder. "Alexx?"

Her body jumped at the contact and she looked at me, her eyes tired. Her beautiful long hair had been chopped off, stopping just below her ears.

I looked over her body. Alexx was completely naked, laying in the fetal position. I'd bet she was like this the whole time. Her body was covered in bruises, cuts, gashes, blood and dirt. Blood leaked from her nose and dripped down the corner of her mouth. Long, clean cuts covered her stomach, back, arms and chest. Her wings were bloody, covered in cuts and missing feathers. She looked terrible.

"Steve..." She looked at me with tears in her eyes, her hand resting on mine. "She...she..." Her body suddenly jolted and she groaned in pain. It was like when she grew her wings, but worse.

Alexx's eyes fluttered as her consciousness began to slip away. I scoot closer as she fell unconscious, her head landing in my hand. I brushed stray strands of hair away from her face as her body relaxed.

Ryan walked over, a gun in his hand and looked at Alexx. "Damn it, Al." he sighed.

"Ryan, get Nat." He nodded and ran off. "Clint, make sure that man is taken care of. Tony," I waited for his reply through my ear piece.

"What do you need me to do, Cap?" Tony asked.

"Prep the jet, get a medical crew on stand-by. She is going to need it badly."

"Roger that."

I gently picked Alexx up bridal style, her arms dangling and her wings dragging along the ground. I headed out to the quinjet, holding Alexx close to my chest. Nat and Clint stood inside the jet, the back door open while I carried Alexx inside. Ryan climbed in and the door closed, Tony at the wheel.

"Where's Ashley?" I asked.

"She got away." Nat looked defeated.

"JARVIS, is Dr. Cho ready?" Tony asked.

"Yes, sir." 

"Perfect. We'll be there for a full analysis in a few. Alexx is top priority." Tony said into his bluetooth as he started the engine.

I sat down and held Alexx in my arms, afraid to put her naked body against the hard metal of the jet. Nat walked over with a blanket and laid it over Alexx.

I looked over Alexx's body again. The bruises on her body were dark purple, nearly black, and looked painful. The gashes and cuts were covered in dried blood.

Alexx stirred in her unconscious state, groaning as her eyes fluttered open. She tried to speak but coughed up blood instead.

"Don't say anything. You need your strength." I whispered.

Alexx grunted and her body tensed. I held her hand in mine and let her squeeze. After a minute, she relaxed. I brushed a stray hair from her face and tucked it behind her ear. She pulled my hand down to her stomach, wincing when she forgot about the cuts that called it home. Alexx held my hand as tightly as she could, her fingers barely curling around mine. 

"Steve..." she moaned.

"Please don't speak." 

"She...p-poison...me..."

I looked up at Nat, who was already looking at me. "Tony, tell Cho to get ready to figure out an antidote as soon as possible."

"You got it." Tony nodded.

I combed my fingers through her short, dark hair. We would get through this.