Time With Steve

A familiar scent from long ago filled my nose and I couldn't help not taking in a deep breath.

I opened my eyes and sat up, looking at the couch, but I was on the couch. How did I not wake up when I was moved? I was usually a light sleeper. I breathed in again, then yawned and stretched.

I could sense that Steve didn't know I was awake yet. I looked down at myself, making sure my tank top and sweatpants were decent, then got up quietly.

Steve was standing at the stove, a spatula in his hand. I stood a few feet behind him and smiled. 

"Morning, Captain." I spoke.

"I thought bacon would wake you up." Steve looked at me with a soft smile.

I chuckled. "You were correct." I walked over to Steve and stole a piece of bacon off of a plate on the counter. "Thank you."  

I helped Steve finish cooking breakfast. We each ate four eggs, his sunny-side-up, mine with the yokes cooked. We also ate four pieces of toast and several strips of bacon, washing it all down with milk.

Steve had decided to go after Bucky three days ago. I was still living with Steve because I had no where else to go.

Steve sat at the table and looked over the file Nat gave him for the one hundredth time. 

I grabbed Steve's plate, placed it on top of mine, then went to the sink. 

"Alexx, let me help you." Steve started to stand up. 

"Don't worry, I got it." I replied. "Though, you should take a break from looking at those files, you'll have Russian imprinted on the back of your eyelids."

Steve walked over and took the dishes I held and took them to the sink. "You should relax. You almost died."

I sighed and shook my head. "Yeah, but I didn't. I'm fine now." I went to the sink with him.

We finished washing the dishes, then Steve returned to the table and looked at the file again. He stayed there for five minutes before I decided to speak.

"Steve, you need to take a break from that file." I suggested.

"I need to find him, Alexx." Steve insisted.

"I know, Steve, but you need to take breaks. If you stress yourself out too much, you'll soon look like the old man you are." I meant it to be a light-hearted comment that would make him at least smile.

He didn't say anything. I glanced at him and sighed. He sat there, his head resting on his left hand, elbow on the table while he flipped through the papers in the folder. The morning sunlight peered through the windows, lighting up his features. He looked tired.

I moved from the kitchen sink toward Steve, standing behind him. I placed my hands on his muscular shoulders and began to massage some of the tension away. Man was he tense. 

"Relax. We'll find him. Finding people is what I do, I'm a pro." I whispered in a soothing voice.

Steve had stressed himself so much ever since he first saw Bucky. Sam and I insisted we'd find him, but we needed a couple days off to fully recover.

Steve again ignored me, deep in his thoughts. I frowned, lightly squeezed his shoulders before moving beside him and taking the folder away. 

"Put it back." Steve ordered.

I shook my head. "No."

"Alexx, give me the folder."

"No. You need to relax."

Steve reached for the folder and I extended my arm, keeping it away from him. 

"Alexx, please."

"Steve, I want to, I really do. But I can't sit here like nothing is happening." I sighed. 

"So what's your plan?" Steve asked.

"A break." I put the folder back down. "Anything to help you relax." I took Steve's hand in mine. "I do have one idea, but only if you're interested." 

Steve's eyes widened and he blushed, rubbing the back of his head with his free hand. "O-Oh, I may be out of practice." 

I smiled. "Well, it's like you said. You don't need practice."

Steve smiled softly as I led him toward the bedroom for a relaxing night.