First Mission With Captain America

The Indian Ocean reflected the night sky as we flew over in a quinjet. Steve, Natasha and I stood at the front of the group of men known as the STRIKE team. A man named Rumlow -- the leader of the STRIKE team and a man Steve had introduced to me before we took off -- started to debrief us. I didn't know what it was, but I didn't trust him.

Steve was in a new suit, all dark blue with a silver star in the center of his chest. Other than that, it looked exactly like the one he wore during the Battle of New York. I had briefly learned about the Avengers' history while at Steve's apartment. Natasha wore her Black Widow catsuit. 

I had been given a uniform to wear as well. Fury thought it would be best to have one like Natasha and Steve. My uniform was a catsuit, exactly like Natasha's, though it had my weapons instead.

"Target is a mobile satellite launch platform, the Lumerian Star." Rumlow informed, showing us images of the ship we were heading toward on a touchscreen monitor. "They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them, 93 minutes ago."

"Any demands?" Steve asked.

"Billion and a half." Rumlow replied.

"Why so steep?"

"Because it's SHIELD's."

Steve paused for a moment. I could tell he was getting a little frustrated. "So it's not off-course. It's trespassing." Steve said to Natasha.

Natasha's hand was in a relaxed fist at her chin. "I'm sure they have a good reason." She briefly looked up at Steve.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor."

I felt something about this was all wrong, but it was my first mission with SHIELD, so I ignored the feeling. I didn't know how SHIELD operated yet. 

"Relax. It's not that complicated." Natasha spoke calmly to Steve.

"How many pirates?" I asked, turning everyone's attention back to Rumlow.

"25. Top mercs led by this guy." Rumlow pulled up a picture of the leader. "Georges Batroc. Ex-DGSE, Action Division." Rumlow continued. "He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had 36 kill missions. This guys got a rep for maximum casualties."

"They should have sent me in sooner." I sighed. 

"You have connection with Interpol?" 

"I have a connection with a lot of people. When you hunt down terrorists and assassins, you meet people." I shrugged.

"Are there any hostages?" Steve asked.

"Oh, mostly techs. One officer: Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley." Rumlow pulled up a list of the hostages and tapped on one, enlarging the picture of Sitwell.

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" Steve mumbled under his breath as he tightened his gloves. "All right, I'm gonna sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep the aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get them out. Alexx, you sweep the stern. Let's move."

"STRIKE, you heard the Cap. Gear up." Rumlow ordered.

I could feel the jet as it came to a brief halt, the propellers powering up so the jet could hover and be silent.

Steve, Natasha and I walked to one side of the jet, grabbing our gear from the lockers. Steve lifted his wrist to his lips. "Secure channel Seven."

Natasha did the same, replying to Steve. "Seven secure."

"Did you do anything fun Saturday night?" Natasha asked Steve, not even looking up from what she was doing.

"Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so, no, not really." Steve replied, putting his ear piece in.