Chapter Sixteen

Carlisle climbs out of his car first followed by Mkay, Paul stands from where he'd been sitting on the ground, the rest of the pack gathered around Billy. The last few days have been tense and fast paced. Between the training and then the vampire army none of them have had any time to breath. And Mkay has barely seen Paul. Which is why when Carlisle offered to drive her to the reservation she'd jumped on it. Carlisle is here to check on Jacob who had been severely injured. Carlisle walks into the house whilst Mkay hangs back, fidgeting slightly. Paul moves towards her and takes her hand.

"It's okay" he assures her pulling her away from the pack slightly noting her unease around so many men. "Here" he stops her and places himself between her and them, letting her know that he's her shield. "You didn't have to come" he assures her kissing her hand and then placing it over his heart.

"I wanted to" she whispers. "I was worried about you....about all of you" she admits and pulls her closer to kiss her softly and then wraps his arms around her. They both relax into one another. The last few hours have been tough on them both. Fighting. Worrying. She clutches to his back breathing him in as Paul kisses her head. It's silent. Everyone lost in their own thoughts. At lease, it is for a moment. Jacob's screams of pain fill the void. Mkay jumps against Paul's chest and he closes his eyes and hugs her tighter.

"Let's take a walk" he offers pulling back, he shares a look with Billy who nods, letting him know it's okay for Paul to concentrate on his imprint.

............

Paul walks with Mkay's hand in his, moving through the trees away from Billy's house. They're both quiet. Thinking. Reflecting on the events of the day. The fight. It was exhausting. Even if Mkay can't physically get tired she feels tired in her bones. She hates fighting. She hates groups. She hates large groups even more. Facing an army was hard for her. Fighting. Hand to hand combat. Physical touching. Paul watched her struggling as she fought. Knowing it was getting to her, he tried his best to keep them from her, to keep her safe. And she is safe. Right now. Fight over. She is safe, right here at his side, hands held together.

"I am sorry" Mkay tells Paul who frowns at the side of her head.

"What for?" he asks stopping them both.

"My family dragged you and the pack into that mess, it's our fault Jacob got hurt" she turns to him.

"You didn't drag us into it, M" he counters brushing her hair back behind her ear. "We were doing our duty" he kisses her cheek. "Protecting an imprint" he whispers, assuring her that it wasn't a burden for them to fight, that it was Paul and the pack protecting a member of the pack, that Mkay is part of the pack. He's part of her life. Forever.

.............

"Hey" Jacob greets surprised to find Mkay sat next to his bed. "What are you doing here?" he asks. "How long have you been sat there? Were you not bored?"

"I kept myself entertained" she comments, smiles a little and holds up a braided wrist band. He smiles back at her. "Paul said something to me yesterday that got me thinking"

"Paul did?" he asks her amused, she chuckles a little and nods.

"Yes" she looks to him. "Well not so much said....in so many word, but....I am part of this pack" Jacob nods.

"Imprints are very important" he offers.

"Well I don't know any of you" she admits. "I know I have my issues..." she whispers.

"Is that why Paul's sat outside the door?" Jacob whispers back, she nods.

"Men make me uncomfortable" she admits to him. "I'm working on it"

"You wouldn't even look at me the first time we met" Jacob points out. "Now you're talking to me" she nods.

"Paul" she offers. "Before him...I..." she smiles a little. "He's helping me" she looks to the door and smirks. "I'm trying really hard to trust the people he trusts" she looks back to Jacob. "Like the pack. And you're....my pack now too, so I want..." she shrugs a little. "It felt ridiculous the first time I said it out loud too" she mumbles.

"Keep going" Paul comments outside the room. "You're doing great" she smiles a little.

"I want to get to know you myself" Mkay tells Jacob. "Not just you but...all of you, it might help....make me feel more comfortable around all of you"

"That's not ridiculous" he assures her. "So can I ask you stuff?" he asks. "Wanna ask me stuff?"

"Either, both...." she answers.

"Would it make you feel better if Paul was in the room?" he asks, she nods and Paul pushes open the door, he looks to Mkay and smiles proudly at her. She just spent the last hour sitting in Jacob's room, alone, granted Jacob was unconscious for most of it, but she did it. He is proud of her. One wolf at a time she is determined to get to know them. For Paul. For the man she loves with every fibre of her being. Even if all of this terrifies her.

..............

Jacob laughs as Mkay smiles. She'd loosened up a little when she and Jacob started sharing stories. He was also surprised to find out that the big vampire, Emmett, was actually her real brother. Paul wasn't sure Mkay wanted him to spill everything he knew about her to the wolves and even figured out how to keep his thoughts about her to a minimum when they phase. This particular story is the time Emmett got his head stuck in the fencing around the field her family owned, he tried to go through the gap rather then climbing over like a smart person would have done, and he was there for hours before their brothers found him. They then proceeded to laugh their asses off before finally helping him.

"The others are going to love that story" Jacob tells Mkay. "You know...make him seem less scary" Jacob holds up his hands and mocks a scary pose. Mkay smiles wider as Paul chuckles.

"He was actually my smallest brother" she adds. "The others were bigger..." Jacob raises an eyebrow at her, she nods. Paul wraps his arm around her and smiles.

"I think you've hogged my girlfriend long enough" Paul teases. "How about we let him rest, M?" he whispers to Mkay, she nods and smiles.