Chapter Nine

Sam sits staring at Paul, confusion, worry, and...something else flickering across his features, honestly Sam has no idea how to feel about this, to his knowledge this has never happened before, what's he supposed to say, he's happy for Paul, he can't see her, Sam knows how hard it is to stay away from an imprint, and Paul is already fidgety, that need to be around his imprint creeping up on him. Sam leans onto his knees and nods a little. He can figure this out, and even if he can't, the elders might.

"I'll talk to the elders" Sam tells Paul who nods a little. "Just....keep calm, we'll figure this out" Sam promises, Paul stands and starts to pace.

"But..." he stops and looks to Sam. "What do I tell her? Do I tell her? Am I allowed to see her?"

"We can't stop you" Sam answers. "She's your imprint....just stick to normal until I talk to the others" Paul nods and then leaves, Sam sighs and stands himself.

................

Sam sits across from Billy and Old Quil, talking about the implications of a vampire imprint.

"Has it ever happened before?" Sam asks Billy and Old Quil who share a look.

"There are stories of it happening" Billy answers looking back to Sam. "Rumours. But nothing solid, nothing written, just....hearsay"

"Well...is it allowed?" Sam asks leaning back in his seat. "I don't know what to do here" he admits. "I know what it's like to be kept from my imprint, and despite Paul's issues he is part of this pack and my brother.....to cause that sort of pain"

"It is a unique situation" Old Quil points out. "Which we should take time to....review and discuss" Billy and Old Quil share a look. "It's obvious things need to be adjusted for this....Cullen girl, for now Paul is just going to have to make do with what he has until something can be arranged" Sam nods and stands.

"He's not gonna be happy about it" Sam points out

"You're not wrong" Billy agrees looking to Old Quil. "Paul has a temper on him....to keep him from his imprint..."

"Until we decide what is best, it's what has to be" Old Quil states. "He has to make do with what he has....."

"Can he tell her?" Sam asks. "Or...is he to keep it a secret until everything's been decided?"

"I don't approve of imprints being kept from their wolf, but this situation is....rare" Old Quil sighs and nods. "He can tell her, but he must explain everything to her, she needs to understand that, at the moment, this does not change anything with the treaty. She cannot cross into the reservation. She cannot hurt a human. The rules still apply to her" Sam nods and then leaves. Old Quil sighs. "This....is going to complicate things"

................

Mkay climbs out of her car and pulls her bag over her shoulder. Turning around she finds Paul stood behind her.

"Come to spew more at me?" she asks. "Still got some fur on your chest?"

"You're feisty this morning" he points out, she shoots him a look. "Is it cause I'm a wolf now?" he asks her, she shakes her head.

"No, I knew before...." she admits pulling her bag strap up her shoulder. "Paul, whatever we were before...." she whispers and shakes her head. "We can't be now....It's just best if we stay away from each other...." she starts to walk away.

"I can't" he admits, she stops and looks to him, he sighs and looks around, notes the little pixie vampire and her partner watching them, he looks back to Mkay. "Can we talk? After school?" he asks. "Our spot?" she nods a little, he nods and then walks away, Mkay watches him go sadly.

"Mkay" Alice whispers behind her, Mkay looks away from Paul and to Alice who gives her a small smile, Mkay nods and walks with her sister into the school. "Are you okay?" Alice asks her.

"I don't know any more" Mkay admits looking to Alice. "I just....I'm tired" Alice nods a little. "I know I shouldn't be, I can't be....but I am just tired of everything, of this life, of...what I am, I don't want to do this any more" Alice touches her arm and Mkay looks to it before walking away, Alice looks to Jasper who moves to her side.

"We have to help her" Alice whispers.

"How?" Jasper asks. "This is who she is, this is what she wants.....Alice, there's nothing we can do" Jasper touches her hand. "We all know she's been struggling the last few years, everything just....building" Jasper then cocks his head. "You really want to do something?" Alice nods. "Paul" Jasper answers looking to Alice. "He helps..." he kisses her head. "She feels different around him" Alice and Jasper share a look. "Settled" Jasper strokes her arm. "And just then....when he was talking to her..." Alice raises an eyebrow. "He wasn't affected by her"

"What?" Alice asks.

"You know how Emmett is immune to her gift?" Alice nods. "Instead he feels this....peace, this....contentedness around her?"

"Yes" Alice answers.

"Well Paul feels those things too, and affection, and....adoration, it's....different for him....his emotions don't go....haywire around her like everyone else"

"Why didn't you say anything?" Alice complains and then walks away, Jasper frowns.

"Wait. Am I in trouble?" he asks following her, a smirk on his lips, Alice looks to him and gives him a playful glare.