Chapter Seven

Paul leans against his car and watches as Mkay climbs out of her car, her brother and sister at her joining her, Mkay looks across at Paul who raises a hand and waves, she stares at him before looking away, Paul lowers his hand and sighs. He should have known that she'd take that kiss badly, he knew the second he did it that he'd pushed her too far but he had to try, go big or go home and all that, only he may have gone too big, he should have started with holding her hand, or touching her arm, but kissing her, what the hell was he thinking? He was getting somewhere with her, she was willing to talk to him, she smiled, and he's probably destroyed all of that with a kiss. Emmett wraps an arm around Mkay and walks away with her as Rosalie glares at Paul who looks away, okay, the blonde is terrifying.

..................

Mkay sets a book into her locker and then looks to Emmett.

"And why do I have to be there?" Mkay asks. "I don't hate Bella but I don't particularly like her either"

"Because she is Edward's girlfriend" Emmett argues. She looks to him.

"No" she tells him. "I have done many things for this family that make me uncomfortable, but a party? For someone I feel nothing for. No"

"Mary Kate" Emmett warns. "We're family, we suck it up for family, just...be there for the beginning, for the gifts and then you can go into the woods and do whatever you do out there" he offers and then raises an eyebrow at her, she looks away clenching her jaw.

"Fine" she growls and then shuts her locker. "Fine" she repeats. "But no more...this is it, I can't....I don't want to do this any more" Emmett looks to her sadly before nodding a little. She looks to him and then walks away, Emmett glances to Paul who looks away. Emmett then looks to where his sister disappeared before walking towards Paul.

"I don't know what you did" Emmett starts. "But I know you did something to her...." Paul rubs the back of his neck and shrugs. "What did you do?" Emmett asks.

"I kissed her" Paul answers, Emmett raises an eyebrow.

"I was joking when I told you to try" Emmett warns.

"Look I was getting somewhere" Paul tells him. "I made her smile..." Emmett raises an eyebrow.

"You made her smile?" Emmett asks. "When?"

"At prom" Paul answers. "She smiled....so over the summer....I....worked on it" Emmett snorts not believing him.

"I love my sister" Emmett tells him. "But she will never be comfortable around men, it's.....part of who she is, stop trying, both of you will only get hurt in the end" Emmett turns and starts to walk away.

"What happened?" Paul asks. "To make her so....like that" Emmett glances to him.

"The worst" He answers and then walks away. Paul sighs a little and looks down the corridor.

.................

Mkay sits on a fallen tree wedged between two other creating a sort of bench, she swings her legs and looks up at the sky at the stars above her. The birthday party had gone just as she thought it would, terribly, everything that could go wrong, did and now they are leaving because of of the human, an accident that could have been oh so much worse. Mkay is now being forced to leave. Again. She knew this human would be trouble, no one willingly or knowingly gets involved with vampires, not unless there is something wrong with her.

"We're leaving" she states knowing that Paul is stood behind her. "Moving..." she looks over her shoulder at him. "Carlisle has a great job opportunity and he's taking it" she lies to him, and honestly, it hurts her a little to lie to him. Why does Edward get his human? Mkay blinks a little. Her human. She just thought of Paul as her human.

"So you're all just going to move too?" he asks stepping closer. "But...it's senior year" he points out. "You'll...."

"Be the outsiders?" she asks. "We already are" she reminds him.

"But...." he looks to her sadly. "I...don't want you to go" he admits. She smiles a little and climbs down from the tree and moves to stand toe to toe with him, she lifts her eyes to his.

"I don't want to go either" she admits to him. "And it's ridiculous, no one infuriates me more, no one annoys me more, no one.....pushes my limits more. No one else....makes me smile" she lifts her eyes to his. "I don't want to go...because I think I will actually miss you" she admits.

"Mkay" he whispers.

"I want...." she looks down and nods before looking back up. "I want to do something...." he nods. "Stay still, don't make any sudden movements" she tells him, he nods a little. Mkay raises her hands to his neck and leans closer, she kisses him, Paul's lips move back against her, and he lifts his hands slowly lifting to her waist. It's the best kiss he has ever had, and it's from someone that hates touching people. And he knows how much this means, how hard this was for her, how big a step this is for her. She pulls back and stares at him, he looks to her sadly.

"Mary Kate" he states, she looks down.

"Thank you" she whispers to him and then steps back before walking away, Paul looks down and wipes his hand over his face before turning and walking the other way, he's not going to lie, he is going to miss her.