Chapter 10

When I next woke up, dang it I woke up? Yeah well I was in a small white room, with needles stuck in my arm, and Joey slumped down on the foot of my bed. He looked tired and pale, and had blood on his shirt. Had he saved me, and not bothered to change? What was he doing here? Why was I alive? Why had anyone bothered to save me? 

  I moaned slightly and moved my hand to brush an annoying strand of hair out of my face, causing my wrist to throb painfully. I looked down at it to see a white bandage around it, with a red stain across the middle. 

  I guess that also woke Joey up... I winced slightly as he jumped up and threw his arms around my neck. "Oh my gosh Nicky you're okay! Please never do that to me again!" He was actually crying... Did he actually care? I actually felt a little bad now, seeing how upset he was. Maybe me actually did genuinely love me. 

  "I-I'm sorry... I..." I choked out, realizing that I was crying too. Should I tell him about Chloe? 

  "Nicky..." He loosened his grip and looked into my eyes. "Why?" Such a simple yet complicated question... 

  "I-it seemed right... And... I... I had no choice!" I found myself whimpering and sobbing now. 

  "Shh shh it's ok, you tell me every thought and every word from every person that made you feel that way ok?" He whispered as he pulled me closer and hugged me to his chest. 

  "C-c-chloe..." I stuttered. 

  "What did she say?" Joey said it so calmly but I could feel his hands clench into fists. 

  "S-she drug me away a-and hurt me I-I promised to d-die if she'd stop..." I whispered.

  "Oh... My... Well... I will take care of her and I will never leave your side again until the day I die." He was obviously shocked by that news and seething with anger. Now I had no doubt that he loved me... As impossible as it was, nobody could act this well or save me if they didn't care. 

  "I thought nobody would miss me anyway..." I said so quietly even I had trouble hearing it. 

  "Well if that's the case, hello my name is Nobody." Joey whispered to me and began petting my hair. "And I miss you every second that I'm not with you." 

  "B-but I'm just a burden, what is there to love about me?" I asked him. I'd wanted to ask that for a long time, but never felt I could. 

  "What isn't there to love about you? You're beautiful inside and out!" 

  At those words I melted and broke down at the same time. I threw my arms around Joey and hugged him tightly while sobbing my heart out, in the process ripping those needles out of my arm. 

  "Nicole?" Joey said quietly, almost scaredly. 

  "Yes?" I answered. 

  "W-will you-" He was about to say when a nurse walked in.

  "Oh, you're awake! Good! Oh and what have you done with those needles? You very much need those young lady!" The nurse hurried to my side and replaced the needles with new ones, which pinched and didn't feel comfy at all. Then she proceeded to take my blood pressure and all sorts of tests, making Joey step aside until she was done. 

  "Well. You don't seem to be in danger of dying now!" She stated cheerfully. "But you are way malnourished, and best stop cutting dear... Where are your parents by the way? Shouldn't they be here?" 

  A surge of anger and hurt washed over me. They hadn't even came to visit? "As far as I'm concerned I have no parents." I whispered through gritted teeth. 

  The nurse looked stunned. "Um wha-?" She began to ask but Joey cut her off. 

  "Yes you do Nicky, you live with me now. My mom is your mom." 

  "I... I can't Joey... B-but really? You mean it?" I felt happy and confused and scared and so in love now. Which was confusing. I was used to just feeling hopeless, depressed, maybe numb or angry. But never happy or in love. 

  Wait. Did I just admit that I love Joey? No! Ugh fine I totally do and against my will I trust him too. 

  "Yes love, I do." 

  "D-did your mom agree?" 

  "She will." 

  The nurse interrupted us again. "Well I'm happy you two are happy, but I don't believe that you're allowed to do that until you're eighteen-" 

  "My dad is dead and my mom is a flipping abusive drunkard she said she wanted me dead! I don't care if it's illegal I will not live with her anymore!" I yelled. 

  The nurse clamped her mouth shut and left without another word. Good riddance. 

  "What were going to ask me before she interrupted?" I asked Joey. 

  He flushed bright red. "I-I was gonna ask if... You'd be my girlfriend?" 

** https://jaciknight.blogspot.com/ **