Chapter 5

What did I have to lose by trusting him? My easy choice of death maybe... But I couldn't say that. That left... Nothing. No reason not to. 

  "I don't know..." I muttered. 

  "Then why not?" 

  I pulled my wrist away from him and stared right into his eyes. "If I trust you and you let me down, I. Will. Die. Why should I take that risk? How do I know I CAN trust you? Why are you even interested in me anyway?" I asked sharply. 

  "Well... I think at this point you'd die anyway... That's what happens when someone has nothing to live for... Taking a chance is better than just giving up, isn't it? The only way to find out is to try. And I'm interested in you because I believe there's more to you than meets the eye, I want to see the real you. From the little bits I've seen you're a nice person." Joey stated gently. 

  How do I respond to that... Worse, how do I refuse that? Ugh... I give up... I'll try to trust him, but I am not telling him everything! 

  "Ok fine..." I mumbled. 

  "To what?" 

  "Fine. I'll try to trust you. But if I say no to something, you respect that. Clear?" I said through gritted teeth. 

  "Got it." 

  "Good." 

  "So... What happened to your cheek?" 

  None of his buisiness... Ok, I guess I have to start somewhere though, and that wasn't too bad I guess. "My mom threw a bottle at me..." 

  The look of shock on his face was almost funny. "She... WHY?" 

  "She yelled at me, I yelled back." 

  "Was she drunk?" 

  "Yes, is 24/7." 

  "What about your dad?" 

  "Real dad is dead. New one works all the time and gets drunk whenever he's home." 

  "That's sad..." 

  "Yup, but I don't want pity." 

  "No pity here..." 

  "What time is it?" I had to get back soon, or Mom would be mad... 

  "It's almost four." 

  "Crap she's gonna kill me!" I yelled before I could stop myself, then started to sprint home without saying bye. 

  As soon as I got there I opened the door as quietly as I could and slipped in. I tried to close it quietly, and succeeded this time. I crept into my room and closed and locked the door, only then did I let out the deep breath I'd been holding. 

  I layed down on my bed, thinking about my day. Joey... Why? Just why? Ugh I'm not thinking about him anymore. Chloe and her friends... School is gonna suck tomorrow, but no way am I staying home. 

  My heart stopped when I heard a knock on the front door. Dammit if it was Joey... I opened my window and crawled out, then ran around to the front. Yup, idiot boy. Didn't he listen? 

  I picked up a pebble and threw it at him. It hit his shoulder and he spun around to look at me. "Get over here!" I hissed. 

  He ran over and a pulled him around the house, and just in time. I heard Mom open the front door and start yelling at "stupid pranksters". 

  I climbed through my window and Joey followed. I checked the lock on my door before turning to him. 

  "What are you doing here? You're gonna get me in trouble!" I hissed.