Chapter 4

I left the house about ten minutes after I woke up. That's about how long it takes to stuff my books in a bag, run my fingers through my hair, put on basic make-up, and grab a bagel. 

  From there I just wandered around, it was still an hour before school started. The cool morning air stung my cheek, which was still raw from last night. 

  But I didn't mind. I just kept my head down and pretended nobody else exsisted. 

  Until I felt myself run into something hard. I looked up quickly into the tanned face framed with dark brown hair, and bright green eyes of Joey Estrada. The hottest, most popular boy in school. 

  "S-sorry." I stuttered and tried to walk past him. 

  "It's ok. Hey! Wait," He jogged to catch up with me. "What happened to your cheek?" 

  "Nothing..." I mumbled. 

  "Doesn't look like nothing." Joey pressed. 

  "Ok, then none of your buisiness. Why would you care anyway? Nobody cares about me and that's the way it should be." I burst out angrily. I immedietaly felt sorry, he'd never done anything to me and that was mean to say. 

  He was silent after that, but kept walking next to me. "You might want to leave, you won't be so popular if anyone sees you with me." I murmered. 

  "Why not?" He asked, sounding genuinely surprised. 

  I rolled my eyes. "Have you not heard that I'm the ugly good for nothing freak who should go die?" 

  "Nope, never heard that. Aren't you lonely though?" 

  I didn't respond. Yes, I was lonely. But I couldn't trust anyone, and having friends would make leaving this life harder. The only reason I hadn't already is because I'm a coward. Just waiting for that one little push over the edge now... 

  "You're Nicole, right?" Joey asked. 

  "Yes. Why do you care?" I left all emotion out of my voice. 

  "Well, you seem like you could use some friends and it's kind of hard to be friends without knowing your name." 

  "I don't n- want friends!" I said louder than necessary before walking faster, away from Joey. He had stopped, but was staring after me with a determined look on his face. 

.....................................................................................................................................

  I went through the school day, everything as usual. Keep my head down, don't show how the teasing hurt, hide all cuts now including my cheek, and answer all questions from teachers correctly. 

  As the last class ended, I packed my stuff slowly, hoping that Chloe and her bullying friends would leave. I wasn't lucky enough. 

  "Hey ugly." Chloe came up behind me and dumped a bottle of water over my head. I bit my lip and tried to ignore her. 

  "Oh you aren't talking to me? How rude! You know what I do with rude people?" I didn't wait to find out. I stood up, swinging my bag over my shoulder, which just happened to hit Chloe, and ran. 

  I could hear footsteps running after me. I skidded around a corner, and guess who I crashed into. Yup, Joey. 

  "Whoa what...?" He asked, grabbing my shoulders to steady me. 

  "Let me go!" I spat. 

  "Yeah let her go, we've got some buisiness to take care of." One of Chloe's friends, Andrea, said hautily. 

  "Sorry ladies, no can do." Joey replied, staring at the four furious girls glaring at me. He grabbed my wrist, ouch, and pulled me away. 

  They didn't follow, but glared daggers at both of us. "So what was that about?" Joey asked once they were out of earshot. "Wait let me guess! None of my buisiness?" 

  "Yup." 

  "Why don't you want to tell me anything? And why are you flinching?" 

  I hadn't realized I was flinching... But yeah, his grip on my wrist was hurting some cuts. "I don't tell anyone anything until I trust them, and I trust nobody. And none of your buisiness." 

  We were now out the door of the school, heading towards the park. "Can you learn to trust me?" He asked. 

  "Trust ultimately leads to being let down. I'll never trust anyone a-" I almost added again, but thought it best not to. 

  Joey was silent for a moment. "What do you do for fun?" 

  Well that was random. "I don't do fun." 

  "Why?" 

  "Again, none of your buisiness."

  "Ok, what do you live for? Family? Money? Sports? Something else?" 

  What do I live for... Nothing. Just nothing. 

  "Nothing." I whispered. 

  "You have nothing to live for? Nothing you love?" 

  "No, nothing and nobody I love." 

  "Then what do you have to lose by trusting me?"