Pleading Lyra's Case

Tyrion had fallen asleep in the chair in front of the fire and, when he woke, Alyss was already moving about the cottage. "I am sorry. I did not mean to wake you, Lord Tyrion. I...simply wanted to prepare a meal to break our fast before we go to the Keep. Liam. He needs to wake and eat. Mother would not wish him to sleep so late." Her eyes were red and puffy from crying the night before. Tyrion stood and placed his small hand on her arm and she smiled. It broke Tyrion's heart that she was trying to act so grown up at the age of ten.

"I will wake Master Liam," was all Tyrion could say as Alyss looked at him with those eyes that were so much like Lyra's. "Will my mother be alright?" she asked him, making him sigh. "I hope so, Lady Alyss." She nodded and went about making breakfast while Tyrion woke Liam. A couple hours later, the three of them navigated the streets of King's Landing toward the Red Keep. The children kept close to Tyrion as if they were trying to hide from the stares of the people.

"My lord Tyrion," Littlefinger called as he came out of the brothel. Tyrion slowed his steps so Littlefinger could catch up to walk beside the trio. "I trust you heard about Lyra?" Tyrion's frown deepened. "I did. I was there when Jaime took her." Littlefinger's brows furrowed. "Were you?" Tyrion nodded. "I was. These are Lyra's children. Alyss and Liam, this is Lord Baelish." The children greeted Littlefinger shyly.

"I am escorting the children to the Keep where they will remain until their mother is released." Littlefinger smirked. "I take it, then, that you don't believe the accusations?" Tyrion shook his head. "No I do not. I cannot see Lyra being guilty of treason. Why would she? It is because of the queen that she is able to return to her children each day." Alyss and Liam were silent until they reached the Keep, letting the two men talk quietly.

"Whoa...it's so big," Liam whispered when the group approached the keep. Tyrion and Littlefinger chuckled. "It is indeed, Liam. I shall see in the Small Council chambers, Lord Tyrion." Tyrion bid Littlefinger goodbye and took the children to his own chambers. "I need the two of you to wait here until I send for you. Can you do that?" They nodded and Tyrion left the room. He placed a guard outside the room just to be sure.

"Lord Tyrion," Daenerys greeted when he entered the Small Council chambers. The usual smile and kind tone to her voice were missing. "Your Grace." He took his seat and Daenerys began. "The only order of business is the treason of the whore named Lyra." Littlefinger and Tyrion exchanged a glance before Littlefinger opened his mouth to speak.

"Your Grace, Lyra is one of my girls and I can assure you, she has never shown anything but admiration for you and your reign. To accuse her of treason is absurd." Daenerys' eyes flickered between him and Tyrion. As if reading Tyrion's mind, Daenerys asked, "And what of you, Lord Hand? I have been informed that you and Ser Jaime are acquainted with the traitor." Tyrion took a deep breath to control his temper.

"I am. As Lord Baelish has said, accusing Lyra of treason is ridiculous. I, for one, would like to know who it was who accused her. She has been imprisoned on the word of someone else and that, Your Grace, is not justice. It is unfair to Lyra and to those closest to her." Daenerys arched a brow. "Like you? Or Lord Baelish?" Tyrion shook his head. "If you have any who can speak for Lyra's character, you should bring them forward as soon as possible." Tyrion looked at Jaime, who left the room to grab the children.

A few minutes later, the doors of the chambers opened again. Alyss looked close to tears, but held her head high while Liam was trying to be strong in front of the other men in the room. "Who are these children?" Alyss looked to Tyrion who nodded. The girl cleared her throat and curtsied. "Your Grace, my name is Alyss. My mother is Lyra, the woman arrested for treason against Your Grace. This is my brother Liam."

"Do you know what treason is, child?" Daenerys asked while her Small Council stared. Alyss stuck out her chin. "Yes, I do and I can tell you that my mother is innocent. She has never even said a harsh word toward Your Grace. She has encouraged my brother and myself to learn new things so that we may be helpful toward you in the future." Daenerys smiled. "Thank you. You may go."

"Before you leave, dear children," Varys interrupted, causing the two to look at him. "How can you be certain of your mother's innocence? She is not with you in the evenings, is that not so? Do you know where she goes when she is not with you?" Liam's eyes narrowed, but Alyss answered, "My lord, I am aware that our mother is whore. She tries to hide it from us, but I know. She spends her evenings in Lord Baelish's brothel." Tyrion chuckled. She really was a sharp one.

The children left the room and Daenerys turned her attention to Tyrion. "That was a low trick, Lord Hand." Tyrion shrugged. "Do you really believe a woman who has sacrificed everything including her reputation for her children to commit treason, risking not only her life, but the lives of those children?" Daenerys sighed and shook her head. "I do not. However, that leads to the question. Who is accusing her of treason?" Tyrion blinked.

"You mean you do not know?" Daenerys frowned. "I do not. I know only that it was a woman." Varys nodded in agreement. "The few little birds I have left can search the city. The accusation came to us through them but they do not know the name of the woman." Daenerys laced her fingers together and rested her chin on her hands. "Then we have work to do. Someone clearly wants Lyra gone. I'm afraid, for her own safety, Lyra must remain in the dungeons. As for the children..."

"They shall stay with me," Tyrion interjected, earning surprised looks from everyone in the room except Jaime. "I promised Lyra." Daenerys agreed and dismissed the council. Littlefinger and Jaime followed Tyrion out of the room. "I believe I have an idea of who wants Lyra dead," Littlefinger whispered. Tyrion didn't have to ask to know who he was talking about. "So do I." Jaime looked confused, prompting Tyrion to continue. "Who do we know that seems to have a problem with Lyra? Someone who has attacked her once already." Realization dawned for Jaime and all three men said, 

"Mila."