5

Carlisle's POV

I sat in the study typing up my reports on Maya. Reynolds wanted full reports about her so we could better monitor her condition. 

Name: Maya Cullen

Age:4

Height: 3' 9''

Weight: 40 lbs

Eye: Brown

Hair: blonde

Race: Caucasian

Mother: N/A

Father: N/A

Notes: Scars along torso and bumps all over body, very edgy towards people seeing her markings

I heard Esme trying to calm Maya down. For now, Reynolds gave us a scar cream that should work. It's to reduce the pain and visibility of it. Maya hasn't told anyone else anything yet, but the girls still can't do any of this. I am the only one to get near her and put the stuff on her. I decided to talk to her tonight. I walked in and saw Maya close the closet on Esme. "Maya please," she pleaded. 

"No!" 

I sighed and tapped the closet door. She knew it was me. I was polite with it. "Maya come out here. I want to talk. Alone," I sighed. Esme looked at me and I nodded. 

"Alone?"

"Yes, alone. Esme will leave," I assured. She finally started opening the closet and I helped her out as Esme shut the door. "Why won't you let Esme do this?"

"Ummm," she stalled. i knew what was happening. Abuse history in progress. 

"I'm not mad about it. I just want to know." She nodded and pulled up her one sleeve. I saw the one mark I never understood. It was in the shape of a cross. 

"My mom burneded me a lot. I was hit kick and whipped by her. Same with daddy. Mom pretended to be scared. But she left me all alone," she confessed. 

I hissed in my mind. Her biological parents had the nerve to do that to her?! I don't understand. She's a little angel and I mean that literally. I hugged her carefully. "I promise you this. Esme will never hurt you. She is just as worried as I am. Okay? Tonight since I'm in here I'll do it, but tomorrow try to push the past away and remember she's not your mom and she won't hurt you okay?" I knew the bargain game would work with her. She nodded and I carefully placed the scar cream on her marks and she fell asleep against me. I smiled and tucked her in her bed and kissed her cheek. "Goodnight angel," I whispered. 

I saw Esme outside the door looking infuriated. "How?" She began before I cut her off pointing to her room door. "I know," she sighed. 

"Look I don't get it either, but I'm glad she told me the truth. Her mom acted. Her dad began it. Still, the physical wounds may be cleaned easily, the psychological wounds will take a little more time. She trusts us, though. It's a good sign she's already began recovering from what's happened," I breathed. 

"Okay," Esme breathed. 

Jasper and Alice came back from hunting and also looked mad. "Edward heard and told all of us. We can't believe it!" Alice almost shouted loud enough to reach Maya's room so I listened for her to move around and wake. 

"You're lucky Alice. She didn't change emotions enough to wake up. She's still asleep," Jasper warned. Alice nodded and I smiled as Jasper told me what I needed. Maya was still asleep. 

"Look the point is we have to be the better family," Esme sighed. 

"Agreed," Emmett chuckled. 

"We won't let anything happen to the cupcake sister," Rosalie promised. 

I smiled and sent in my report to Reynolds and sat on Maya's bed watching over her. I wouldn't let a thing harm her again. "Don't you worry sweetie. Daddy won't let anything happen to you ever again," I whispered. I swear she had heard it because a faint smiled appeared on her face.