(33) You Can Put the Blame on Me

The look on Rayner's face seeing me in my state was unforgettable. He looked so incredibly angry I thought maybe he might forget about his job and kill the surrendering man standing beside me with his bare hands. Everyone seemed shocked to see Burns standing beside me and I knew he'd try and weasel his way out of this the second they had handcuffs on him. I heard him shouting about him finding and saving me, but I knew it was too suspicious to believe even for him.

"Should we call a medic?" Rayner nodded his head at the man in uniform beside him and walked straight to me his jaw clenching and unclenching with every step he took. He looked over my face quickly before capturing me in a hug. I squeezed him back with all the energy I had left, sobbing into his padded shoulder. He too was wearing gear and although it was stiff and lumpy in places, I never wanted to let go.

"I'm so glad you're alive Tori." He breathed in my ear before letting me go and unstrapping himself of the expensive equipment, unzipping his thin gray jacket helping me into it. I was thankful for the coverage once more and the fact that it was warm and smelled like him was comforting. I zipped it up all the way and embraced him once more without all the gear savoring each second loving the way his warmth soaked into my skin.

He held on tighter and it was only then did I feel my ribs and injuries. I gasped pulling away immediately. "Did I hurt you?" I sucked in air and nodded. "An ambulance should be here soon, just a little longer." I nodded feeling really weak as my adrenaline started to wear off now that I was relaxed. "Here lay back." Rayner suggested almost as if he'd read my mind. He came around placing my head in his lap running his fingers through my dirty hair. I was a bit self conscious but I knew he was not thinking about the texture of my hair.

"Where's Jackson?" I asked trying to cover my legs up with my shredded clothes. Rayner didn't respond gently moving the whisps of hair from my face tracing each bruise and scrape. "Rayner?" My voice raised with frustration. Rayner looked at me with hard eyes that I couldn't read and I knew he was hiding something which only worried me more. Something must have happened to Jackson or else he would have told me that he was alright.

"Shh." He hushed cradling my cheek. Seconds later a bunch of paramedics filled the room rushing to help me. Rayner got out of the way, but kept a close eye on me as if I were still in danger. His entire demenor was freaking me out, because I had never seen him look so panicked and serious. Instead of worrying about him I focused on the people around me who were currently going a mile a minute asking me questions that my shocked little brain couldn't comprehend.

"Tori?" I snapped from my reverie at the sound of my name. I focused on the one voice of a gentleman with the kindest eyes I'd ever seen. The remarkable change in scenary was a relief. "My name is John, I am going to need you to answer a few questions. They may make you feel very uncomfortable, but we need to know in order to do the proper investigation while also tending to your injuries. Can you do that for me hun?" I nodded slowly blinking up at him. "We need to know, were you raped?" Tears immediately spilled over my eyes. I looked over to Rayner who was biting his thumb nail looking anxious.

I looked back to the kind man and tried to remember what had happened to me. I had been violated, a piece of me torn away. Burns had humiliated me and made me feel disgusting. I felt used and useless. He'd not done what he'd planned, but he'd been close.

"Tori?" John snapped in my face recapturing my attention. "Did you hear me?" I nodded swallowing ready to answer him now. I wasn't sure how to go about the uncomfortable topic, and it was still a fresh subject I didn't want to talk about.

"Not exactly." I replied looking anywhere but him. The ceiling was nice... I blushed a furious red tracing each curve in the ceiling above me.