1

It was a cool evening in Forks and Carlisle was adopting a child for Esme. He thought it would be a nice gesture to make her a mom. When he arrived he saw a lot of kids playing with a few toys and a few reading to the younger ones. One of them stood out to him. A child with caramel blonde ringlet hair was sitting with a boy who was reading to her in French. "Who's she?"

"That's Maya Rain. She's 4 and has a very troubled past. Let's just say her trust to people is limited.  She will talk to any boy or man. Let's just say the ladies here have issues talking to her," the receptionist answered.

"Do you know why?"

"Not for me to say."

"Is it in her file?"

"No. Chief Swan will tell you."

"Okay."

"Maya," she called. Carlisle watched as she flinched at her name getting called then walked down to them.

"Y-yes?" Carlisle pitied her. She was terrified to even talk.  

"This man wants to adopt you. He has a wife and you'll have lots of big brothers and sisters," she cheered. Carlisle knew saying that to a mortified child not the best idea. He knew to gently touch on the topic.

"Um okay," she responded.

Carlisle signed the papers and as he walked out with her she yawned and he picked her up. She in no time fell asleep as  he placed her in the car seat he picked up. He grabbed a blue blanket he had in the car and covered her right up. As he drove home he turned on the video calling device in the car. "Hi Carlisle," Esme greeted.

"Hi love. Can you see a present for you in the back seat?"

"I see a child. Not a box," she stated.

"The child is the present. Thought you might want a kid to raise. Her name is Maya and I'm going to find out what's happened to her. She may be edgy towards you and the girls. But she will calm down and adjust to you I promise," he responded.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you," she giggled.

"You're welcome. I'll talk to you soon," he chuckled. He smiled seeing Esme's smile glisten at him and now that child would be okay again. He hoped at least.