|| Chapter Thirteen ||

It was December already, so it was natural that the Shopping Centre had transformed into a Christmas world of its own. Everywhere you stepped foot in, you would be surrounded by faces of Santa Claus, Christmas trees and bright lights. Christmas was just around the corner and people were decorating their houses and neighbourhoods as they got ready for the beautiful season. Honestly, Christmas was my favourite time of the year. Everyone seemed so happy and cheery, little children would run around with their Christmas list that they wanted to give to Santa Claus. People would give out presents so generously you would think they have a basement full of gifts. It was perfect.

“Get your Christmas gifts here!” Kayla shouted at the costumers who were milling about in the shop. She had recently landed herself a job as a cashier in a small gift shop. The man that owned it was very old so he used younger wolves to sell his products and get profit.

I stood besides her staring at the shelves stocked up with candy canes, Christmas books and many more stuff that are related to this holiday. While I was checking the place, I spotted a box placed in the corner full of fluffy looking things. Wondering what it was, I asked, “Kayla, what’s that?”

Kayla thanked the costumer she was serving then turned to face me. She followed to where I was pointing at and smiled. “Our special Christmas hats made out of the best cotton in town!”

“Oh.” I hadn’t bought anything yet and I thought it was a good idea to start now. “Can I have a look?”

She nodded at me while she gave a man his product wrapped with a bow placed neatly on top. It looked like someone was going to receive a nice present this year. Since I was Kayla’s best-friend, she allowed me to go behind the counter and check things out. So, I went towards the box that I was interested in and picked an item out of it. It was a red Christmas hat with the letter ‘K’ neatly sewn in the middle of it. Honestly, it looked beautiful and something that would keep you warm through the winter.   

I dug further finding that there were other letters and not just ‘K’. I pulled out one that had an ‘R’ and studied it. Checking the price, I smiled when I found out that I had more than enough to buy it. Hmm, I thought. “Kayla, do you have any that have a ‘D’ on them?”  I asked searching through the bag but not seeing any.

“Yeah,” she replied not bothering to look back at me. I couldn’t blame her; the shop was busy as people bought gifts.

Finally, I spotted one at the very bottom of the box. It was exactly what I wanted. I got out my money and lined up. I might have the privilege to go behind the counter but I can’t push in or be served first. I’m still a costumer just like any other and I should be treated the same way, Kayla’s words not mine.

There was a boy in front of me that looked about ten. He was holding on to – who I was assuming was– his mum’s hand and holding out a small toy with the other. I don’t know why but it made me smile. My mother and I never had a close relationship so seeing little boys with their mums just made me get all emotional.

Finally, my turn came and Kayla took both hats and scanned them. “Why do you have one with a ‘D’?”

Biting my lip, I tried to think of an ideal answer that won’t give anything away. I wanted to get Daniel something for Christmas because I doubted they even celebrated it. “Um...I like the letter besides, I got it for...” I stumbled over my words, “Dad! My dad...Dad starts with a ‘D’ doesn’t it?”

A recognisable expression came onto her face and smiled. “Okay, why don’t you get one for your mum as well? I think we have an ‘M’ here somewhere.” She walked towards the box and I heard the person behind me sigh in disappointment because I was taking long. “And I found a ‘T’ for your brother as well, awesome, right?”