5|Always

Phil -12 Dan -8

"How come I have never met your friends Chris and Pj?" Dan asks one day.

Phil flinches. He's been friends with them for 2 years, but they don't know that Dan exists. He was to embarrassed to tell them that he was best friends with a little kid. Phil was almost 13.

"I just haven't had them over, Danny." Phil lies. He hates lying to Dan. But the truth would hurt to much.

Dan rolls his eyes. "You only call me Danny anymore when you're lying to me, or treating me like a little kid."

"You are a little kid."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

There is a silence in the air except for the clicking of their remotes as they play their video game.

"I'm old enough to understand that you just don't love me anymore." Dan says quietly. He doesn't look at Phil he just stares at the screen.

Phil pauses the game. "Dan, why would you ever think that?"

"You lie to me all of the time about your friends. You look embarrassed when I wave to you at school. You don't tell me about your bruises." Dan starts. "You are going to get into teenager things, and fall in love, and do things I don't know about yet, and I'll still be just a mere child to you. When we were tiny it was different. You cared for me. But now I'm just to fucking young for you."

"Dan, don't use that type of language."

"Why!? Because I'm too young?"

Phil looks at Dan sadly. Dan was only 8 years old, but he was very smart. He still had those observant eyes. The same eyes that are flaming with anger right now. Dan looks so much prettier when he's happy, Phil thinks.

Phil pushes a stray curl that has fell over Dan's eye out of his face. He ignores the electric feeling in his bones when he does. Dan takes in a deep breath as he turns toward him. Phil hasn't looked at Dan like he is now in so long.

"Dan, you're still my best friend." He says softly. "I will always love you. Even when I'm a teenager, I promise." He stares into Dan's brown eyes with his blue ones, hoping Dan can tell he's being sincere.

"Okay." Dan says with a smile. He feels something he can't explain when Phil looks at him like that. When Phil touches him. But he doesn't know what it is.

Phil looks away, and starts back up the game almost immediately. Although, it's hard to focus on.