Chapter 46

We reach the hotel exactly at eight in the evening. Adele is actually throwing a little party. She is a famous clothing designer and had a fashion show earlier. I was shocked when Xander told me her full name. She is the Adele Cartier, the renowed designer in France.

I am actually starving at the moment. When we reach inside, we see Emma and Peter.

"Ayla", Adele says as soon as she notices us. "Xander, you both are here. I am so happy you could make it"

"Thank you for inviting us", I tell her.

"Oh dear", she holds my hand. "I thought of inviting you for the show but then I thought both of you would be tired from work. That's why I invited you for the after party. I hope you don't mind"

"You did not exactly mentioned an after party either Adele", Xander states with a little smile.

"Je sais", she says sheepishly. "And I am really sorry for that"

"Please don't say sorry again", I add. "We are glad we could make it and I am a huge fan of your work. I am so happy I could meet you in real"

"Oh honey", she gushes out with affection. "You are so sweet. I am happy that I met you too. Solène would have loved her."

She adds the last few words for Xander and tears fill her eyes.

"Please don't cry", he holds her hand to soothe her.

"I just miss her so much", she sniffs. "And it makes me want to cry"

"I know", he lets Adele hugs him. "It's okay. She loved you a lot"

"Oh mon dieu!", she exclaims and takes a deep breathe. "Je dois arrêter de pleurer. Come with me both of you"

We follow her until we reach a quiet area where a table has been set up. Aww, this poor woman has set up a table just for us to have dinner. She has guests to entertain but she wants to spend time with Xander.

"Tu m'as beaucoup manqué, mon fils", Adele tells Xander while holding his cheek. "We all are going to have dinner and you will tell me how everything is going on"

I see Madelaine approaching us with her son in her arm. She smiles when she sees us.

"Hey Ayla. Hi, Xander"

We greet her as she takes her seat and settle her son in the high chair. He keeps jumping in his seat and tries to throw hands towards Xander again. He is looking anywhere but him.

"What's his name?", I find myself asking.

"Abel", she smiles tenderly at him.

"Where is his father?", Xander demands.

"He is not here", Adele sighs as she sips on her wine. "He cheated on her and left her with a baby."

Wow, that sucks. Why do people even cheat? Madelaine looks like a total sweetheart. She keeps her attention mostly on Abel and ignores us.

Xander and Adele engage in a conversation where she talks about his mother. He never speaks about her so it's nice to hear him talks with ease with Adele.

"Ayla", she says my name suddenly. "Xander told me you design clothes"

"Oh yeah", I blurt, kind of shock that Xander told her. "I have a small boutique of my own"

"I would love to see your designs", she adds.

"Really? Actually my designs are not that great"

I am nervous suddenly. Adele is one of the best designer in France and I am just a mediocre little designer. It's nothing extravagant or anything.