Chapter 41

Is Xander home yet? Shit, I took sleeping pills and fell asleep. My eyes fly open in panic but my nerves calm down instantly when I see his sleeping face besides mine.

He is here. Safe and soundly. Without thinking, I throw my arms around him and leg around his waist. I kiss his cheek. Father will never get to him as long as I am alive. I will always keep him safe.

As if on instinct, I recite a small prayer for him in a hush voice. My mother would always say a little prayer for my safety whenever she would hugged me in the morning.

I kiss his jaw softly afterwards.

"Was that a spell?"

I gasp as I inch backwards quickly. He is awake! My face heats up when he blocks my attempt to get away from him by securing an arm around me.

"You were awake the whole time?", I ask with wide eyes.

"I was", he admits, amuse by my reaction.

"Well, sorry I got too close", I blurt an apology. "I know you hate that. Xander! Look at the time. It's nearly eleven. We are so late for work!"

I struggle out of his grip and stand up. He raises his body and leans against the headboard while watching me get panic.

"We are not going to the office today", he claims.

"Why?"

"There's been a robbery", he explains. My heart skips a beat. "Investigations are being done. I will be working from home."

"Robbery", I mumble, afraid. What will happen if he knows that it's me?

"After I had left the office, someone broke in", he explains as he gets up. "Luckily for him, the cameras were not working. So, we don't know who is it."

Fuck, the cameras! How could I forgot about them?! I was so caught up in Father's words that I did not realized that I could have been get caught by the cameras.

"You okay Fiery?", he asks, standing infront of me this time.

He will hate me and stop being my friend if he comes to know that it was me. I am the thief.

"Hey don't worry", he holds my hand. "I am tighening security in the office. I don't even mind the loss of money as long as everyone's safe in the office. My employees' safety matter the most"

He takes me by surprise and leaning down, he hugs me. He rubs my back gently and I squeeze my eyes tightly shut. I really do not deserve him.

"Breathe Ayla", he says softly. "I knew you would be anxious that's why we will work from home today"

"You stayed back for me?"

"Yes", he pulls back to look at me. "And I was worried because you had took a few sleeping pills. I had to make sure you woke up"

"How do you know?"

"You sleep talk", he claims. 

"I told you this while I was asleep?"

He nods. "Next time, I don't want you taking sleeping pills to sleep, got it?"

"Just because you don't want me to does not mean that I shouldn't", I argue for no reason.