27

A perfect lie was at the tip of Rue's tongue except Xana beat her to it.

"I know you are cheating on Angie," Xana stepped forward.

Mr. Fox looked at Xana then to her. "Fine. I am," he admitted.

That was fast. Rue expected denial on his part.

Rue's heart was racing. This is it, the lies were going to come crumbling down. The secret she had kept from her friend suffocated her and it was begging to be released. She wondered what would happen. If he told her the truth?

Would Xana be happy? Angry at her lies but understand that the heart wants what it wants then forgive her? Or it would be the end of their friendship?

Now with the thought in her head, she realized how scared she was to lose her friend, it was scarier than any rejection from Mr. Fox.

"Why? With whom?" Xana was in disbelief. It is like the truth was also too much to digest.

"I can't talk about that now, sweetheart." His endearment seemed to placate Xana for a while.

"I don't understand. You swore off relationships for years and the moment you get in one you cheat. What happened to honesty?" Xana scrunched up her eyebrows; she looked like she had woken up from a bad dream.

In Xana's head, she had put her father in a box with a labeled lid, and now that it was open, she was scared of what she found inside.

The father that raised her wasn't a cheat. And if he was what more about him was she missing.

"I am sorry I disappointed you but that doesn't give you a reason to invade my privacy," Mr. Fox said, walking in.

Mr. Fox took the disks away from them and returned them where they were initially.

"Is that a movie?" Rue asked.

Mr. Fox shot her a dangerous glare. "I need both of you to leave," The words were softly spoken but his features were opposite of softness.

Xana hesitated for a while, she stared at her father, hoping for something that no one could guess. Angrily, Xana stormed off. Rue was about to do the same before Mr. Fox called her. Since Mr. Fox had busted them in his room, she had been afraid that this particular night would ruin their normal "Sexcapades" routine. However, she was now hopeful.

"I think it is time I got the twins a new nanny," He said.

To say Rue was shocked would be an understatement. She had not anticipated such news.

"What do you mean?" She anxiously asked.

"We can't do this anymore. I can't continue to hurt the ones I love," He said.

"I..." She opened her mouth and shut it.

"I still care for you Rue and you can always count on me but we can't do this...."

"Screw you," Rue didn't have the patience to listen to his bullshit.

Like Xana had done she too ran away, livid.

"The lady of the house is finally here," She wiped her tears as soon as she heard her mother's sarcastic voice.

Sadly, it was too late her mother had already seen the tears.

"What now?" Her mother asked annoyed.

Rue understood that her mother didn't care why she was crying she was just angry, from experience as a kid. Rue knew that any negative emotion was perceived as an inconvenience by her mother.

Rue shook her head, "Nothing,"

"Good," Her mother pursed her lips together. "Why is there no food in this house?" She added, annoyance evident in her tone.

"You have the money from the house sale and dad's insurance. Why do you still expect me to buy food?" Rue asked, genuinely surprised.

"It is the least you can do living here," She replied.

Rue shook her head and started to walk towards the stairs.

"A tip for your heart, guard it. Men are self-preserving people and will drop you anytime they feel their desires are not met." Her mother spoke.

Rue stopped and turned around. She didn't know how this conversation started or where it was going.

"And what makes you think that my heart is not guarded?" She decided to play along and see the direction it would take.

Her mother smiled and shook her head, "I have seen those tears before, those are tears of a man." She said.

"How would you know you have never loved anyone but yourself," Rue replied.

Her mother kept shaking her head in disbelief, "I loved once and promised myself never to repeat that mistake again,"

"I will keep that in mind," Rue said and resumed her journey up the stairs.

Tomorrow was their moving day, her mother had found a house a few houses from here. It was made clear that she wasn't invited to live with her mother and brother. At first, she was angry, then she was given money from her father's insurance. Her mother took the larger share. However, Rue was just glad that she could afford a down payment for her apartment.

The apartment she had found was far from the suburb. It was the cheapest she could afford despite the fear she had of being far away from Mr. Fox.

Early in the morning, Xana was up to help her friend pack and move.

"I should come and live with you," Xana said.

Rue lifted her head, "Huh?" She had not heard what her friend had said as she was busy trying to fit her clothes in a small duffle bag.

"I am never speaking to my father," Xana said, "Can you imagine after all that talk he called Angie who spent the night," Xana added.

Rue stopped what she was doing, "He did?" She rushed to her window momentarily forgetting about Xana. His blinds were drawn along with the sheer.

"What are you doing?" Xana asked her friend, concerned.

"Is she still there?" Rue asked with new pain from last night.

"They left," Xana came to stand beside her.

She looked through the window and back to her friend. "You have been weird lately."

Rue shook her head, "I have a lot on my mind."

Xana threw her arm across her friend's shoulder and hugged her, "Just relax, I will pack everything for you."

Rue just nodded.

Rue silently watched through her window into nothingness. It had been her favorite spot and now she would leave it behind. She no longer would wake up and lust after Mr. Fox through the window. It was a sad thought. If only she had the money to buy this house. Maybe someday.

"What is this?" She heard Xana ask and when she turned, she wished the ground to swallow her. Her mind raced, she felt sweat prickle down as she saw her friend flip the album in her hand.

"Why do you have my mother's photo Album?" Xana asked.

Chapter 30 is now Available at Inkitt. 

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment.