19

For days Rue struggled to process what had happened even though the pain between her legs and the blood stained robe reminded her of that.

She peeked through her window, for days he too had not opened the curtains. It is like he stopped existing. She had not seen him, but she did see Angie walk and out of the Fox residence severally. Each time she felt her  chest tighten, a lump too hard to swallow forming. She would wonder, Did Mr. Fox lay Angie on the same bed, look at her the same way, did he....Did he... the thought were unbearable and no matter how much hard she tried with self perseveration. Her overthinking part won.

What was the essence of living if breathing hurt this much? She would wonder and suddenly get this strength to walk to his house and confront him, yet at the same time she felt so vulnerable and little and she would just coil on the bed and not cry.

Why cry?

She didn't believe that crying should only be associated with hurt or pain. Tears should be an overflow of an overflowing heart; a celebration of life and beautiful moments.

Rue heard steps in front of her door and she quickly ran to her bed, she threw her body onto to it and covered her shame, hoping to be left alone.

The jiggling of keys told her it was her mother. She hoped the blanket could suffocate her more before she could deal with her.

The door was opened and the footsteps stopped near her bed, however Rue didn't uncover herself to welcome her uninvited guest. It didn't take long before the blanket was yanked from her. She turned to her mother with a scowl.

"Good. You are not dead," She commented.

Rue shut her eyes and opened them hoping it was already over, but no. Her mother watched her like a hawk.

"What have been doing here locked for days?" Her mother asked with a suspicious look.

"Nothing." She groaned.

"Nothing. You haven't gone to work and we are running out of the detergent not to mention other stuff,"

Rue groaned again, waiting to ascended to heaven like Elijah after all, she had done her martyr job and it was only fair after what she had gone through.

She looked up at her mother who still stared at her like she was under interrogation and she was already convinced she was guilty.

"Are you pregnant?" Her mother asked.

"What?" She was confused.

"Don't play innocent. I have heard the rumors' of you and that Tony boy." She said.

Rue looked up and wondered when was her wishes going to come.

"I am not.." Or was she? She didn't take any precaution.

"Good..." She observed Rue, and got closer to whisper. "He is a good catch and loaded i would understand if you would want to trap him."

Rue's jaw hung agape, suspended in mid-air. Was her mother insinuating it was okay to trap Tony with pregnancy? She knew that her mother's lack of moral compass has no limit but didn't think it would go this low.

She shook her head as she spoke, "I am not trapping Tony and i am not involved with him. There is someone else." She said in disbelief.

"Who?" Her mother asked.

"You will meet him, in the meantime we are just working things out." Rue replied all over sudden wondering why she was telling her mother all this. They never spoke of such things!

"Are you dating a mere co worker. Are you throwing away a chance of marrying into money for a blue collared man?"

"If you must know is a doctor and equally wealthy." Just as Rue finished speaking her best friend, Xana walked with a warm smile.

"Hi girl, Hi Mrs. White?" Xana jumped on the best beside Rue.

"Did you know the doctor your friend is dating?" Rue's mother asked Xana who turned to Rue with her mouth wide open.

She shook her head, "When? Who, and Tony?" Xana had this many questions and Rue regretted telling her mother.

"Mom, i would like to have some space with Xana." Rue kicked her mother out of her room.

"Poor Tony," Xana lamented and, Rue understood since she is the one that hooked them up.

"You should you supposed boyfriend  for dinner tonight. My father is hosting his doctor friends. Xana suggested excitedly.

Rue had to think fast for an excuse, "We are just on the talking stage and he prefers his privacy." She answered hoping that would make Xana understand.

"C'mon, I want to meet him," Xana begged. "Please..." She could not stop.

Rue for lack of the will to argue she responded, "Fine, though I doubt he will agree." She said and watched her friend wondering what could go wrong if she told her friend that, the man she was talking about was her father. She was dying to tell her about her first time, how she felt and how her father made her feel but soon realized how that sounded even to her head. She knew she would never share such details with her friend. Who would want to know what their father did?

What if she just told her that she wanted to be with her father. How would she react? Having a step mum who was not just her best friend but her age mate. Yes, she had thought of herself marrying Mr. Fox but she never thought much of Xana or the twins. She always assumed of being accepted and living forever happy.

All the angles Rue tried to see from, she had a feeling that might trigger beginning of their downfall as friends.  And Rue did not want to loose her friend, yet she badly wanted Mr. Fox. What would she do?