2

The woman my father is dating.′

It was a bitter information for Rue to swallow, and she started to feel dizzy and her world titling.

The night was not going as she had anticipated. She had planned this for the last two years. She had to wait until she turned eighteen for it to manifest, but now it was falling apart before her eyes, and she didn't know what to do because she had not foreseen such a problem.

Mr. Fox approached them, and Rue struggled to remain calm. His jaw was set in a smile, and his eyes seemed to search her for something familiar. He came to a halt in front of them, his mouth halfway open, finding for his words.

"You look..." He started to talk but Xana spoke over him.

"Like mum" Xana concluded. "It just clicked now, You should look at her photos and see how much you resemble her today." Xana elaborated.

Rue, caught between a rock and a hard place, forced a smile, "Pfft! I've never seen her, and I'm sure I'm not even close to how she looked." Rue tried to appear as nonchalant as possible, her heart racing as she hoped she wouldn't say something stupid. That was her survival technique: being fluid to o fit in every shape of circumstances she found herself in.

"Speaking of photos, did you take your mother's album?" Mr. Fox asked Xana and she shook her head thoughtfully.

"It is probably somewhere in the house." Xana answered after thinking and Rue tried to breath normal, remembering where she hid it securely.

"You've got to be the birthday girl." Mr. Fox's date moved forward to address Rue, and she despised her even more. When she touched Mr. Fox's shoulder, she wanted to grab her by the guts.

Rue nodded, afraid if she spoke she would say something that would ruin her chance with Mr. Fox.

His date was okay, but not the type of woman she saw Mr. Fox going for. He was a king that deserved a pretty young thing like her.

"I couldn't help myself, i prepared something special that i do for my daughter's birthday's and William couldn't stop taking about you." She said proudly and Rue scowled that she referred to Mr. Fox by his first name.

Mr. Fox turned to her and smiled warmly at her as if her meal would be deliverance the world was waiting for.

"You shouldn't have." Rue responded honestly.

"But i did." She joked.

"Enjoy your night, Rue." Mr. Fox hugged her, and Rue thrust her chest forward, hoping he could sense the warm feeling her perky breast. The hug lasted a tad too long until Mr. Fox had to pull her away.

Rue narrowed her eyes as the two walked away greeting and chatting with the people at her party. She knew she had to get rid of that woman right away.

"What do you think of Angie?" Xana asked Rue.

"About that, i thought that your father would only date once you left for college." Rue asked concerned since, Mr. fox promised Xana that he wouldn't date again after his second wife, and mother to his twin just up and left.

"I shouldn't hold him back because i failed and now i have to repeat high school instead of going to college as agreed." Xana replied.

When Rue turned around she saw, Tony walking towards her with a gift bag, she quickly turned pretending not to have seen him and started to walk towards the kitchen. Tony had been perusing her for the last two years. He was equally smart as her and everyone thought that they would make a good couple and intelligent kids. However, Rue had no business with boys within her age bracket. She just yearned for one mature man, Mr. Fox.

She walked past the dinning room into the kitchen. She opened the fridge and took out a bottle of water, and as she was slowly sipping it. She spotted a pot that was simmering on the stove. It was probably that special meal Mr. Fox's date, Angie, was preparing.

A thought occurred to her and she didn't need to think twice as she strode towards it and turned the heat too high and quickly left the kitchen before someone walked in on her.

As she rushed outside she bumped into Xana, "I have to leave." She said.

"You just got here."

"I have bad cramps," Rue lied as she saw Angie come running towards them.

"I smelled something burning." she said. Rue pretended not to notice the smell.

"Tony wants to see you." Xana said with a smile while Rue absentminded watched Angie turn the stove down.

"I can swear i didn't turn the stove this high." Angie muttered to herself as she stood upright turning to Rue, "I am sorry but this past being salvaged. i promise to make it up to you." She addressed Rue, remorsefully. Rue didn't buy that the woman cared about her birthday and she would make sure to expose her and make Mr. Fox hers.

"It is the thought that counts." Rue said before announcing that she wanted to get home and rest.

*****

When Rue opened the door to her home, she found her younger sister, Zoey seated on the old torn out sofa. She was on her phone and spared her a brief grunted look.

Not tonight! Rue thought. As the weight of the missed opportunity with Mr. Fox still weighed on her being.

"Happy Birthday." She heard her sister speak the moment she took the first step of the stairs.

She didn't respond or turn to acknowledge that she had heard her. Instead she rushed upstairs to her room, praying her tears would wait until she was in her room. They cooperated but once the door locked the tears cascaded down her cheeks, her heart aching. She felt both angry and sad. Mr. Fox was suppose to be hers.

Chapter 10 is available at Inkitt.

Username: Ivybrown179