25

Joe King leaned against his car, tapping his foot impatiently. He had driven around in a Ford for as long as Rue could remember. When she found him outside their house, she didn't utter a single word to him.

"Zoey!" Joe shouted.

When she walked into the house, she found Zoey dragging her suitcase. "Hey, where are you taking your things?" Rue inquired.

Her sister rolled her eyes, annoyed by her interruption. "Where do you think?" She clicked her tongue.

Rue was aware that the new owner of the house had given them two weeks to vacate. She had hoped that by then, their mother would have found another house. As it turned out, their father had a huge life insurance policy, and in a week, their mother would receive it.

"And Ally?" Rue didn't want to be far away from her niece.

"You'll see her whenever," Zoey said, though Rue knew that was far from the truth. Chances were, if they permanently moved to the Kings, she would not see her sister and niece as often, if ever.

"Call me," she hugged her little sister.

By the window, Rue watched Joe drive away. Piece by piece, her family was falling apart, each one of them taking a different direction. She knew she had to look for a place to live. Then she saw Xana walking towards their house, carrying her laptop bag.

She rushed to meet her at the door.

"Where have you been?" Xana asked as she walked in.

"At home," Rue said casually.

"I saw Zoey with Joe, do you want to talk?" Xana asked.

As a matter of fact, Rue wanted to talk, to say a lot, but not about her sister or her ex-con boyfriend. She wanted to talk about Mr. Fox, and the only person she could talk about him with was her sister, who was gone.

Rue shook her head, "I'll be okay," she finally responded.

Rue took her bag from her friend. Xana followed her as they headed to her room.

"I think my father is cheating on Angie," Xana said.

Rue stopped in her tracks. Did she know?

"Why do you say so?" she asked, steadying her tone.

"Today in the morning, I went to his room. I thought he was with Angie, but when I left his room, Angie called. It turns out she wasn't the one in his bed. Can you believe it?" Xana spoke in disbelief.

"Really?" Rue had to feign surprise.

"Who would have thought my dad could be such a two-timer? I can't even look at him," Xana expressed her disappointment.

They resumed their walk to her room.

"Do you have any idea who it could be?" Rue asked, glad she was in front; otherwise, the dread on her face would betray her.

"For now, no. But I will find out," Xana said with confidence. "And you are going to help me," she added.

This time, Rue stopped and did a full turn to look at her friend, "Help you?"

Rue found the suggestion absurd. How would she help her friend when the other woman was her?

"Yeah, I like Angie and I won't let my father ruin a good relationship."

"What if he likes the other woman and doesn't know how to let Angie down easy?" Rue thought it might deter her friend if she brought up other possibilities.

"Whose side are you on, Rue?" Xana asked, frustrated.

"I will help," Rue gave up.

That night, Rue sat in her father's favorite spot one last time. Most of the things in the house had been thrown away; they were too old and worn out to be sold. She opened another can of beer; it tasted like trash, but her father seemed to like it.

She poured some beer on the floor, a form of libation to her father. It was the only way she could honor his memory.

The front door was open, and she heard giggling. It had been a while since she had heard her mother produce such a sound.

"Sssh..." her mother said to the other person.

"There is no one around," a deep masculine voice spoke. What the heck? Her mother had brought a man home.

She stood, "Mum?" she called. She just wanted them to know they weren't alone before they decided to get indecent.

Her head felt super light, and her legs wobbled as she walked. She found her mother and her companion in the kitchen. Even in her drunk state, Rue recognized the man. He was Edgar, an author who wrote motivational and finance books; he didn't live far from their home. The worst part was that he was married to her mother's archenemy, Sandy.

"Why are you home?" her mother asked.

"I live here," Rue answered.

Edgar seemed uncomfortable to be caught in the chaos.

"You barely sleep here," she responded, surprising Rue that she even noticed.

"Well, today I am here," she said and burped.

"Are you drunk?" her mother asked. When Rue didn't respond, she shook her head, "You are just like your father."

"You couldn't wait for him to die to be with other men," Rue shouted.

"Shut your stinking mouth, you little bitch," her mother moved swiftly, and in a flash, she was on her face.

Silence fell in the room. Rue and her mother remained in a staring contest. This time, Rue wasn't going to back down. The worst that could happen had already happened. There was nothing left to lose.

"You have no idea who that man was. Why do you think he drank to his death?" her mother dared her.

"Because of you," the veil of fear had come off.

Her mother huffed and let out a sarcastic laugh; it filled the walls of the huge house. At some point, Rue thought it would bring the house down.

"He drank because of his demons and what he had done. Don't believe me; Mr. Fox should clarify that. If he has an ounce of honesty."

"What..." Rue was cut short.

"We are done here," her mother declared. "Let's take this party upstairs." She turned to Edgar with a smile.

Rue watched them until they disappeared out of sight. What did her mother mean? What kind of demons haunted her father? And how were they related to Mr. Fox?

Chapter 28 is now available. You can read it at Inkitt. 

Follow me ivybrown179.

Don't forget to vote and comment. They do motivate me. 

Thanks for your time and enjoy the chapter and book.