21

They stepped out of the limo; she draped her canteen purse over her shoulder and intertwined her fingers with those of her friend. They stood, smiling as a photo was taken. She was surprised by how big of an event it was when she had just assumed it to be a corporate dinner.

Xana smiled at her and squeezed her hand a little bit tighter. She knew it was just a way of assuring her that she wasn't alone, and she appreciated the gesture.

On their way in, they were met by Mr. Fox and Angie. Rue immediately tensed as their night together flashed before her. Her friend noticed and wondered why. However, Mr. Fox seemed to be doing well, unaffected, unbothered by her presence like nothing had happened.

"Don't you girls look beautiful?" Angie said, and Rue rolled her eyes. She caught Mr. Fox staring. He quickly turned to Angie and said something inaudible to her, but they seemed to understand each other.

Rue was dying to shout at Mr. Fox, demand an apology, not an explanation. How he had treated her afterward was rude, and no explanation would make it sensible.

"Let me help you girls with your coats," Angie suggested oh so courteously.

Xana allowed herself to be relieved from the heaviness and warmth of her wrap coat, revealing her floral lace dress. It hung perfectly on her, drawing attention to her figure. Rue looked around and realized most women wore long gowns; none had a dress past the knees. She realized her blunder with her choice of outfit. If she removed the coat, she would be the center of attention. It wasn't an appealing situation, but the thought of having Mr. Fox's attention regardless seemed good.

"I wouldn't mind too," she said to Angie, who gladly walked over to her and helped her out of her beige coat. She was left in her tiny dress. Mr. Fox's eyes widened, and Xana smiled, proud of her friend for having the audacity to wear that.

"Damn! The doctors' wives are going to hate you," Xana said.

Angie seemed not concerned by what Rue wore. Mr. Fox couldn't tear his eyes from her; he seemed pissed.

"Rue, follow me!" he ordered.

"You are in trouble," Xana whispered. She just had no idea how her father's commanding tone made her blood hot.

She followed after Mr. Fox, pulling her little dress whenever it rose. He took long strides, and Rue struggled; she just decided to take her sweet time, leaving tongues wiggling as she walked past.

The route Mr. Fox took seemed to lead to the hotel rooms. She finally caught up with him when he stopped to open the door. He struggled for a bit, and then finally unlocked it. He walked, and she did the same, locking the door behind.

"Why are you dressed so cheaply?" he asked.

"I am just a broke girl," Rue shrugged her shoulders.

"So you came here to try to seduce some old desperate doctors since you failed with me," he spat.

Disbelief crashed over Rue as her chest tightened, setting her blood to a boiling point. How dare he?

"Thank you for giving me such a good idea," she said through clenched teeth and making a turn around to leave.

No sooner had she turned to open the door than it was shut with mighty force. She gasped, feeling her body being pushed into a human cage. Mr. Fox towered over her, his arms resting on the wall on each of her side. She forgot how to breathe as her hand reached for his chest to push him and allow her to breathe, but her strength wasn't enough to match his.

"Did you wear that tiny handkerchief for me?" he asked.

"You are not that special," Rue said casually, hoping her tone would not betray the anxiety she was feeling.

"This is a professional dinner, not a TikTok wrap party," he commented.

Rue scoffed; it wasn't new to hear him talk about TikTok; he thought of the platform as childish and toxic. He always reminded her and Xana to stay off. But they turned a deaf ear and actively posted.

"I am just a kid, remember?" Rue almost threw up as she spoke those words. She hated when he referred to her as such.

Mr. Fox sighed, and Rue's mind raced with things he would disapprove.

She started to run her hand over her chest. "I still remember the feel of you..." She stuck her tongue out.

She saw Mr. Fox's Adam's apple move up and down. "That can never happen again,"

"It doesn't have to happen like the last time; there are many ways to kill a cat, Foxy," she said with a sensual voice.

He took a step back. "It won't happen in any other way; for fuck's sake, I have been like your father,"

"I don't mind calling you daddy," Rue smiled, yet Mr. Fox seemed serious in what he was saying.

"Please don't,"

"Papi?" Rue wasn't ready to let go despite each word he said hurting her.

"Rue, please." He narrowed his eyes at her.

"I love how you say my name," Rue was persistent. His rejection felt like she had to try more; maybe she would finally get through him.

Her eyes traveled to the bulge on his crotch; she couldn't understand why he was fighting what he desired. When Mr. Fox saw the focus of her eyes, he turned to face sideways.

"We shall go back there, and you are going to put your coat back and behave," he instructed.

"Okay," she said with mischief, and he turned again to see her face.

"You are?" He didn't believe her.

She nodded.

"What is the catch?" he asked.

"A kiss, and I will never bring what happened again," she said.

Of course, there had to be a price.

"No," he shook his head.

"Fine," Rue said as she reached for the door.

"Wait!" Mr. Fox called out.

"And you won't try to throw yourself at me," he said.

"You have my word." She said.

"Just one kiss," he said, walking towards her.